• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Perl... how on earth do i start?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dominic

Dominic

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

howdy peeps.. long time no see

i'm looking to start learning Perl but frankly simply getting started is doing my nut in.

Taking into account i have no experience of programming whatsoever (unless you count "BASIC" in college) and am self teaching from info i am gathering from the web... how on earth do i start?

so far ive gotten my hands on :-
perl cookbook
Learning perl on win32
Pspad editor
Activeperl 5.12.4 build 1205 (which contains perl critic + perl package manager)

im assuming you type the programming into the pspad editor but then how do you run it?
is there a better (free) program or setup i can download where i simply type the stuff then run it?

i know it sounds like a daft question but i cant begin to learn the language till i can get the computer to say "hello world" to me.

any help would be greatly appreciated

dom

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

Try strawberry perl... if you are using windows.
http://strawberryperl.com/

Don't ask me much... I am still learning as well...
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,757 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

i don't know much about perl but check out this website:

the perl programming language
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#4 Dominic

Dominic

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

thanks guys

i tried strawberry but it refused to work so i stuck with activeperl

and that website is where i first found perl

ive worked out the problem btw (at 7:30 am after a long night of swearing)
the programs were running just fine but the command line interpreter was shutting down after it had run... thus all you got was a quick flicker of a black box then nothing... ive temporallily fixed this by adding an input line at the end of my programs (thus i have to hit enter before it will shut down) but if anyone knows of better software it would be greatly appreciated as this is a bit of a pain.

dom

#5 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

thanks guys

i tried strawberry but it refused to work so i stuck with activeperl

and that website is where i first found perl

ive worked out the problem btw (at 7:30 am after a long night of swearing)
the programs were running just fine but the command line interpreter was shutting down after it had run... thus all you got was a quick flicker of a black box then nothing... ive temporallily fixed this by adding an input line at the end of my programs (thus i have to hit enter before it will shut down) but if anyone knows of better software it would be greatly appreciated as this is a bit of a pain.

dom

hey dom...yup, long time, no read (and like I understood what you just posted above :P)...hope you're doing well.
I don't know where you're at with this Perly stuff but our ubergeek perlmunk posted this site before in the Bioinformatic subforum...Perly Gates....hope it's useful...
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#6 Dominic

Dominic

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

star as ever cass... it looks perfect

dont worry i dont really understand much of what im typing either.. ive just had a few intense nights of perl and its beginning to sink in... im not the 'puter geek i used to be

dom

ok.. maybe perfect was OTT... but itll still be helpfull as a third teacher..thanks

Edited by Dominic, 21 July 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#7 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:09 AM

star as ever cass... it looks perfect

dont worry i dont really understand much of what im typing either.. ive just had a few intense nights of perl and its beginning to sink in... im not the 'puter geek i used to be

dom

ok.. maybe perfect was OTT... but itll still be helpfull as a third teacher..thanks

you're welcome, dom....keep working on it and perhaps you can give perlmunk a run for his geeky money...:D
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#8 DELETEMYACCOUNTPLEASE

DELETEMYACCOUNTPLEASE

Y U NOT DELETE MY ACCOUNT?

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:08 AM

'temporallily fixed this by adding an input line at the end of my programs'

have you fixed this problem yet?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.