• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Thioglycollate for PMN collections

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 repeatcell

repeatcell

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hi,

I need help with making thioglycollate for mice injections for collecting PMNs. I know 4% of it is required for injections. The label of the powder that we have says to dissolve 29g in 1L. Shall I have to dissolve 40g/L to make 4%?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks..

#2 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hi,

I need help with making thioglycollate for mice injections for collecting PMNs. I know 4% of it is required for injections. The label of the powder that we have says to dissolve 29g in 1L. Shall I have to dissolve 40g/L to make 4%?

Thanks..

Yup, thatís 4%... thioglycollate can used from 3 to 5% (hence the label on your bottle). You can prepare a 2x solution in water, autoclave and then ďageĒ it in the fridge (keep in dark bottle) for about 2 weeks before using. Well, people swear that the aged one is better in eliciting peritonitis. On the day of injections, just dilute your stock in sterile saline and youíre good to go. IIRC, for PMNs, you usually harvest after a few hours (the initial response) and for macrophages, after 2 to 3 days ....
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#3 repeatcell

repeatcell

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:05 AM

Thanks Casandra.
and I guess you use the thioglycollate broth powder that has 0.5g sodium thioglycollate in 29g?

#4 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Casandra.
and I guess you use the thioglycollate broth powder that has 0.5g sodium thioglycollate in 29g?

you're welcome.....and well, I think that most formulations would contain 0.5g of sodium thioglycollate per liter after reconstitution...it's for bacterial culture anyhow... you need to boil it too to dissolve it...
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#5 Habbakuk

Habbakuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

Hi,

Thanks..

Yes, those calculations and percentages are correct.
Swiss Replica Watches

Edited by Habbakuk, 14 November 2011 - 10:29 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.