• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Preparing media with different pHs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thc

thc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

Hi all,

I want to prepare an enriched media with different pHs in a large range (3-11). I have looked at several papers, but most remain ambiguous about details. Is there a standard method available for adjusting media pH?

I plan to autoclave the media first, then adjust with concentrated acid or base (5 M HCl or 5 M NaOH). Is this a good way to go about it? Do I need to filter sterilize concentrated acid/base or is it sterile already (being such extreme pH). I worry because the acid might dissolve the filter and mess things up.

Thanks.

#2 protolder

protolder

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

Hi all,

I want to prepare an enriched media with different pHs in a large range (3-11). I have looked at several papers, but most remain ambiguous about details. Is there a standard method available for adjusting media pH?

I plan to autoclave the media first, then adjust with concentrated acid or base (5 M HCl or 5 M NaOH). Is this a good way to go about it? Do I need to filter sterilize concentrated acid/base or is it sterile already (being such extreme pH). I worry because the acid might dissolve the filter and mess things up.

Thanks.

Hola, to me the best way could be add a buffer.As TB for E.coli has 0.1M phospate ph 7 or 7.5, you could prepare 0.1M PO4H2K and 0.1M PO4HK2 and mix in different proportions to get the wish pH, in any forum or any protocols page you will find tables, but Im not sure that this strategie gets the extrems pHs that you want. Buena suerte

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.