• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

SDS PAGE smearing of bands

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 biotef

biotef

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hello All,

We are facing a peculiar problem.

I have attached my SDS PAGE gel for reference. We get a pattern as if protein has spilled into adjacent well and the blank well (1st and last) also shows band. we have been performing the same method for same protein for about 7 yrs with no difficulty but from past 2-3 months are encountering this problem. we have tried preparing fresh reagents and do the test but same results. what can be the problem as while loading the protein does not spill, still this results is confusing.

Can anyone throw some light or elaborate on this. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Attached Thumbnails

• SDS GEL.jpg

#2 protolder

protolder

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hello All,

We are facing a peculiar problem.

I have attached my SDS PAGE gel for reference. We get a pattern as if protein has spilled into adjacent well and the blank well (1st and last) also shows band. we have been performing the same method for same protein for about 7 yrs with no difficulty but from past 2-3 months are encountering this problem. we have tried preparing fresh reagents and do the test but same results. what can be the problem as while loading the protein does not spill, still this results is confusing.

Can anyone throw some light or elaborate on this. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Hola, Probably if you load less sample and avoid to fill the well untill the top you will avoid the problem, if you do it Ill try to add a bit more of acrylamide in the stacking buffer. Buena suerte

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

you may have another problem, besides overloading.

you are seeing a buffer front with your overloaded protein. this can be caused by a number of factors including salt in the sample and the condition of buffer components.

if the electrode buffer was adjusted for pH then you may have salt present.

the sds may be old and, at least partially, decomposed (the powder as well as the liquid).

try preparing fresh electrode buffer with fresh components.

also, fill any unused well with diluted sample buffer.

Edited by mdfenko, 15 July 2011 - 07:54 AM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.