• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

The Best Gel Extraction Kits

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie15

Jamie15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

Hi All,

Just wondering what you all use for Gel extraction. I used to use Qaigen, but I have found {edit} are much better and cheaper. Anybody else?

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

The best one is the one you don't use. I try very hard to design experiments that eliminate gel band isolation.
You can get rid of it almost entirely by using cloning vectors with different resistances, three way ligations, and vector preparation by PCR and DpnI cuts. My robot is very good at handling liquids, but very bad at cutting out the right band.

#3 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

I used Promega before, now using MEGA-spin™ Agarose Gel Extraction Kit (iNtRON Biotechnology) but it did failed me once due to malfunctioned column...
Agree with phage434, There is no such thing as Best Gel Extraction Kits...

The best one is the one you don't use. I try very hard to design experiments that eliminate gel band isolation.
You can get rid of it almost entirely by using cloning vectors with different resistances, three way ligations, and vector preparation by PCR and DpnI cuts. My robot is very good at handling liquids, but very bad at cutting out the right band.

How much is the price of your robot?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#4 gyma

gyma

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:15 AM

I have been using Wizard® SV Gel and PCR Clean-Up from promega all the time. It works very well. I use it for gel extraction and DNA purification because I dont want to use phenol/chloroform.

#5 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,160 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:39 AM

I made a miniproject for my student, where we split a reaction in a half and run it on gel, cut out, isolated one with Qiagen MinElute and the other with Geneaid. Eluted it in the same volume and 260A measurement and gel visualisation both showed Geneaid to have only half of the Qiagen concentration (20 instead of 40ng/ul). We used couple of samples and two different amplicons (smaller around 300 bp, larger 600 bp) and the results were consistent.

It's no serious study, but I will continue to use Qiagen, you could get even more concentrated sample with elution in a smaller volume.
Colleagues told me they don't mind using Geneaid, because they get enough of DNA for sequencing and it's cheaper, but as I was using Geneaid kit for plasmid isolation few days ago, I noticed their columns were poorly manufactured, with excess plastics on the edges and even some plastic "hair" inside one column.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#6 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

How much is the price of your robot?

Good one there :)
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#7 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,385 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

We got a deal -- as with most of our equipment -- and paid about $15K for a $150K robot. Not free, but at 10% of retail. It's amazing what people throw away and sell at huge discounts in bankruptcy. We love venture capital funding of start ups. Other people's start ups.

#8 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

WOW phage434, you are brilliant!Posted Image Salute!

I remember months back a company was selling their "demo unit" of thermal cycler (Piko thermalcycler) at 1/3 of the retail price due to their termination of the distributorship. The usage was around 20 times only, tested and working very well, new, nice and sexy.Posted Image

However, my supervisor refused to buy it even though I beg her very very hard. FYI, we don't even have a PCR machine in our lab. I become a "graduate begger" begging the whole department when I want to do my PCR.Posted Image I hold my 96-well plate looking machines one after another as a previously booked machines was somehow being used by their own lab members. You guys got no idea the humiliations I suffered and those sarcastic words I heard all these while from those "rich" labs in my department; they never borrow their machines either in the end. My supervisor don't even care about all these when I told her my difficulties. When there is publication, she want her names there, and put in not related authors.Posted Image

I wish I got phage434 as my supervisor, really. Posted Image
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#9 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,509 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

Try ebay....I once bought a thermal cycler for 100 € there Posted Image ...an old one without lids, but three blocks and still working for cooling and heating samples....Posted Image
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#10 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

We got a deal -- as with most of our equipment -- and paid about $15K for a $150K robot. Not free, but at 10% of retail. It's amazing what people throw away and sell at huge discounts in bankruptcy. We love venture capital funding of start ups. Other people's start ups.

Echoing Adirian K, amazing findPosted Image . Where did you find this? Do tell, please. ....Posted Image
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.