• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

primer design

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 intan

intan

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:40 AM

please help me...
i need to design a primer for micro algae to identify their species
how can i design a primer??
if i don't know something then i will ask others to help me and make me understand

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:29 AM

Simple way:
1) you find a gene / region specific for your algae.
2) use primer3 to design the primer.

Done.

Regards,
Adrian
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 Evanescence

Evanescence

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

You can try to check previous primer from previous studies in related journal

But to design your own primer, and just like what Adrian said need to check the specificity of the gene u need to amplify...go to gene bank (eg; NCBI) and To design the primer u can use oligonucleotide calculator..just google it, make sure the each primer is good specificity (18-30bp), no predicted hair pin, good percentage of GC content (40%-50%), make sure u have the good predicition Tm for your primers..all now easier using software...there are many free software there but i use oligonucleotide calculator...after you design that primers try to blast the primer to check the specfic binding
The easy one just try to use same primers that were used by other people in order to check their algae species...i think there must be conserve region that applicable for all type of algae...In bacteria we use 16sRDNA primers to identify the species, applicable to all bacteria so try to check what primers normally people used to identify your algae species

Good luck

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.