• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Acidic water preparation for mice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pLASMID

pLASMID

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:31 AM

hi..I use to acidify water for mice with HCL and i do not have problem with the pH. but i do see someone overacidic the water and adding the NaOH to correct the pH. is it ok to do that? i'm just curious about the chemical reaction inside the mice drink..but so far the mice looks ok..
One more thing, i also heard that acidic water cannot be keep in glass bottle, i just want to know the reason....

thank..

#2 Fungus_Dreams

Fungus_Dreams

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

hi..I use to acidify water for mice with HCL and i do not have problem with the pH. but i do see someone overacidic the water and adding the NaOH to correct the pH. is it ok to do that? i'm just curious about the chemical reaction inside the mice drink..but so far the mice looks ok..
One more thing, i also heard that acidic water cannot be keep in glass bottle, i just want to know the reason....

thank..

NaOH can be highly caustic so i dunno about giving a solution of it to mice to drink :) ... On the other hand, how much HCL are you giving them? :P

I think for the sake of experimental control you should at least be sure to give the animals either just HCL or just the mixture with NaOH.

#3 pLASMID

pLASMID

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:29 AM

until i got the desire pH 2.9. just a few drops.

#4 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:45 AM

HCl and NaOH react to NaCl...so you have more salty water finally...

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#5 pLASMID

pLASMID

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:21 AM

Geeeeee.....the animal would be hypertension then..haha.. :P .

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.