• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Dissolving anisomycin for intracortical injections

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 wavebunny

wavebunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:19 AM

Hello,

I am trying to prepare an anisomycin solution for injection into the brains of my rats. The standard concentration (used in most papers, and also previously in my lab) is about 100g/l.
Frustratingly, nobody has written down how we used to make the solution, and now I am having big trouble dissolving my anisomycin at this (100g/l) concentration.
I have tried the following things:
- dissolving the ANI in PBS or 0.9% NaCl (does not work)
- dissolving the ANI in a bit of DMSO, and then adding saline to dilute the DMSO and get the correct final ANI concentration. The ANI dissolved a bit in the DMSO (it became a thick, but transparent liquid), but fell straight out when I added the saline. Vortexing lots and sonicating did not help either.
- dissolving the ANI in equimolar HCl (so, 1 mmol of ANI for 1mmol of HCl). This works pretty well, the ANI dissolves easily in HCl. I then diluted the HCl a bit with saline, which was also no problem, but when I adjusted the pH of my solution with NaOH the ANI happily fell out of solution again.

There are many papers using this concentration of anisomycin, so it should be possible to make the solution. I just can't figure out how, and I think I'm missing something stupid.
Any ideas?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.