• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Gels 'blobby'

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Banana

Banana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:00 AM

Hello,

I've been running a few different PCRs using plasmid DNA. When run on a gel, the bands are present (that is not the issue), but clarity is poor and all bands are a bit 'blobby'. For now, I am just testing ladders and this is not an issue. However, I want to use this PCR set up to be able to differentiate between fragments that are just a few bp apart - clearly if my bands continue to look like this, I won't be able to do so. Because the ladder looks the same as the bands, the issue is with running the gel rather than with the PCR itself.

I have used 1.5% and 2.0% agarose with TBE buffer with the same results. I have ranged the voltage from 60-80V and I have ensured that the buffer reservoir is full in all instances. I am not sure what is the next step I could take to resolve this issue.

Help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• jbpcr3.JPG

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

Sorry but I'm not a native English speaker. I define your word "blobby" as "soft mass"

I took a ruler, I measured you "well" height and length. I measure the same with your "band"... I find it is the same...

In other words, is your "well size" that makes it so. you try to use a well size of "10mm x 1mm" (or 0.8mm), your resolution will be improved.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 Banana

Banana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:44 AM

Many thanks, I tried today with a thicker gel and it was in fact a little clearer, but still left 'trails' along each well. I will keep trying. Thanks again!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.