• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

PCRing small region on genomic DNA

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cells

cells

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hi, I'm trying to amplify a small (67 bp) region on some genomic DNA samples. I was wondering what conditions I need to consider for the PCR run for amplifying such a small fragment. I've tried the run with an actin control (of ~500bp) and the only thing that shows up on the gel is actin (no other bands are visible).

Currently I'm using 200ng genomic DNA with 400nM primers in a final volume of 25uL. I've run the same sample for RT-PCR using a commercial mastermix and there is product formed (even when run on a gel) so I don't think it is a primer issue.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

Actually, what is your purpose of amplifying of such a small fragment? whay cant you amplify sthg bigger so that is easier to view in gel??
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 cells

cells

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

Actually, what is your purpose of amplifying of such a small fragment? whay cant you amplify sthg bigger so that is easier to view in gel??

I'm actually going to be doing HRM (high resoution melt) using these primers and for HRM the amplicon size is recommended to be small. But first I want to make sure I'm amplifying the right region so I need to sequence the amplicon. I'm trying to just do traditional PCR first so I can send the sample for sequencing.

#4 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

HRM amplicons are recomended to be small but not that small. 100 - 200 bp is OK, you may have more problems with amplicon as short as 67 bp. It may be difficult to sequence such small fragment, 30 - 40 bp are usually lost at the beggining and you maybe wouldn't be able to get a clear read up to the end.
If you're not sure what are you amplifying, then your primers may just have wrong sequence and that's the reason why you can't see anything on the gel.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.