• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Glycerol Stocks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 s.seyedmohammad

s.seyedmohammad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:35 AM

Hi everyone,

So basically I made a glycerol stock and forgot to put it into the -80 C freezer. I realised this after 2 days at room temperature and put it immediately in the -80 C freezer. Would this affect the viability of cells, because being at RT will only increase their density.

Thanks!

Saeed

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,392 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Yes, it will decrease the viability. The cells will deplete the nutrients in the tube well before 48 hours are up.

#3 s.seyedmohammad

s.seyedmohammad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

Yes, it will decrease the viability. The cells will deplete the nutrients in the tube well before 48 hours are up.

Yes, but will I be able to use it as a glycerol stock to transform? If not, what are the chances of an unwanted mutation if I use 1 ul of my purified plasmid in the cell line and make fresh glycerol stocks ?

Regards,

Saeed

#4 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

I would not use those cells anymore to make a transformation.
2 days at room temp is long.. most cells might be dead.
Mutations, I dont think there will be more mutations then when with regular growth.
Just make new cells... or are they so special?

Maybe you can just plate them out and make a new stock out of them? By doing this, you also immediatly see if they are still viable.. (plate out a few and if you see they are still viable, its worth a change using them. But to be honest: I would just use new cells, not worth losing a few days trying it with old cells.. but if you have some spare time you can try it)

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#5 s.seyedmohammad

s.seyedmohammad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:58 AM

Thank you.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.