• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

LIC cloning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cpmf752004

cpmf752004

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

Dear All,

I currently have a gene coding for a two domain protein cloned into an expression vector (pET28b). I would like to express the two domains as separate genes but in the same vector.

I though that I could do it by PCR using two primers, one 5'-3' that anneals with the start of the second domain and that contains a LIC compatible 5' sequence. The other 3'-5' primer anneals with the end of the first domain and also contains a LIC compatible sequence on its 3' end. I will obtain then a linearized vector that, after treatment with T4 Pol+dATP I can anneal with a pETDuet LIC adaptor (see PDF attached) that will provide the T7 promoter, RBS, etc. for the expression of the second domain.

As I am not a molecular biology expert I will appreciate the opinion of the forum about if this strategy is a reasonable one to try.

Thanks

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

I use pet46EK/LIC, cloned 13 genes so far, no major issues.

But if I remember correctly, pet28b is not a LIC vector.

Also, i really doubt whether the LIC duet vector really work for co-expression...really.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 cpmf752004

cpmf752004

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:56 AM

I use pet46EK/LIC, cloned 13 genes so far, no major issues.

But if I remember correctly, pet28b is not a LIC vector.

Also, i really doubt whether the LIC duet vector really work for co-expression...really.

Thanks Adrian.

pET28b is not LIC compatible itself but I would not need to insert the 5' and 3' ends of the two domain protein because they are already cloned in the vector. What I need is to insert a LIC DUet adaptor between the 3' end of the first domain and the 5' end of the second domain in order to express both domains simultaneously but as separated proteins.

lic-overhang
\___ PCR \ LIC \ \
5' |=====================|====================| 3' -----> |=========== + ==========| ---> |===== + === + =======|
____ \ \ \
\lic-overhang

Domain 1 Domain 2 Domain 1 Domain 2 Domain 1 LIC Duet Domain 2
adaptor

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.