• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

ELISA- Limit of Detection(LOD) - just need an idea PLEASE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 .Bioforum.

.Bioforum.

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

Ok, I know limit of detection (LOD) is the lowest concentration at which any substance can be detected....blah blah BUT when it comes to determining the LOD from a calibration curve, I always get it wrong...i think I'm missing a way to determine the LOD here..

Eg. in the picture below, I'd say LOD is 0.001% for goat and for buffalo and sheep i'd say it's 0.001% but this is wrong....as the right answer is 0.01% in goat and -0.1% in buffalo and sheep :(

Posted Image

(http://img641.images...3180/elisao.jpg)

Could you kindly suggest what I need to look at...anything in x-values?....currently i look at the lowest y-value and read the corresponding x-value where the line touches!

PLEASE HELP!

#2 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:14 AM

The LOD is not only the lowest value on the chart. If that were so you could dilute the sample on and on and thereby lower the limit of detection infinitely. The LOD in biological samples is the value that still produces a signal higher than a certain cut-off. The cut-off value can be arbitrary (e.g. OD>0.2 or 3xOD of background) or derived from testing negative samples.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.