• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

RT-PCR cDNA synthesis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mysterious

mysterious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:48 AM

Hi, I've just started to work on RT-PCR. I don't know if it is an absurd question or not but I wondered that if cDNA, that we have after reverse transcription, is single stranded why do we need the denaturation step in the beginng of the PCR to seperate the double strand? Thank you so much for your help :)

#2 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

The RT reaction only gives you the first cDNA strand, not dsDNA. In theory, in the first step of PCR denaturing is not required.

#3 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,205 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

But the cDNA is created on the RNA template. So unless there is RNAse step, it creates double-strand RNA-DNA hybrid.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#4 mysterious

mysterious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

we have a RNase step, so I really do not know why we need a denaturation step :(

#5 mysterious

mysterious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:11 AM

One more question that I wondered... Is the reason that we synthesized cDNA using mRNA, instead of synthesizing DNA directly, is to get the coding sequence, exons, of the DNA? Will there be any changes, advantages or disadvantages if we use DNA directly for PCR?

#6 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,205 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

If you're talking about initial denaturation, before cycling steps, that can also be used for aktivating hot-start polymerase. If it should be longer than 5 minutes, that's probably the case.

As for your other question, it depends on what exactly do you want and for what reason.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#7 mysterious

mysterious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:28 AM

It's clear for me now. Thank you so much for kind help.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.