• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Questions about DEPC treatment

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 noyara

noyara

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hi all,

I'm confused about using DEPC treated water, it's recommended to dissolve RNA pellet with DEPC treated water, and at the same time not recommended to clean the glasswares with it, because it have bad effect on RNA, Protein and RT-PCR reaction, if so, why we dissolve the RNA pellet with DEPC treated water?

I prepared DEPC treated water before 2 months, but now i saw something like cloudy mass in the bottle :blink: , is it normal? i never saw like this before!!

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

The general rule is: "If in doubt, throw it out" Do you really want to use it and have it destroy your experiments, or worse, get odd results and not know if it is the water or a real result.

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

depc will kill rnases. after treating the water, residual depc is destroyed by autoclaving (2x). you use it to suspend rna pellets because it has no rnases.

depc is highly toxic so you won't want to handle it too much.

that being said, after washing the labware that we use for rna, we would treat with depc (soak the labware in water with depc then autoclave the whole mess).

Edited by mdfenko, 03 May 2011 - 08:41 AM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.