• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Maximum size of overhangs in PCR

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

I'd like to add some DNA to the ends of my amplicon, but what are reasonable limits; are there any? Overlap-extension PCR suggests that there must not be but has anyone information to the contrary?

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hi Sean,
I don't understand what you intend to do, do you mean add a few bases more in front of your desired fragment?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 173 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:19 AM

Hi Sean,
I don't understand what you intend to do, do you mean add a few bases more in front of your desired fragment?

I would really like to amplify a fragment and add to it LoxP sites (34 bases), followed by multiple cloning sites (say, another 30-40 bases). This would be similar for both primers. Is a 70-80 bp primer overhang acceptable?

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,434 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:47 AM

Yes, it is possible, but you have to be careful of hairpin structures and unintentional priming of your template with the primer and primer-dimers. In other words, you need to be even more careful than usual in the design of the sequence.

#5 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 173 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

Yes, it is possible, but you have to be careful of hairpin structures and unintentional priming of your template with the primer and primer-dimers. In other words, you need to be even more careful than usual in the design of the sequence.

LoxP sites are complementary to themselves, so will form hairpins and primer-dimers :( Foiled again... I'll have to find another way to get them in place. Thanks for the warning.

#6 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,434 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

The regions of concern are ones that leave a 3' end bound to either another portion of the oligo or to a region of the other primer. It's the 3' end that matters. Hairpins with the 5' end, or even ones that leave a few mismatched bases at the very 3' end are much less important. You can probably work with the loxP sites if they aren't at the 3' end.

#7 Rsm

Rsm

Post Dog

• Active Members
  • 381 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

I wouldn't do it, because primer above 50nt are extremely expensive (HPLC cleanup and stuff). And then they may not work. Better chop it down or clone it from other sources. Well, maybe you don't have financial restrictions, then you can of course just try. Usually, as has been mentioned, if the 3' end is ok, then the primer should be working, regardless of the 5' length or composition...

Edited by Rsm, 28 April 2011 - 12:58 AM.

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.