• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

water-droplets in my cycler !!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nightingale

nightingale

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

opening the cycler today morning, to bring out my first round PCR tubes,
realised there are water droplets on the heat-block ...
exactly on the edge-wells ...

so i was " ????? "
is it condensed water ??? But, if so ... what is the source ???

grateful to any insights ...

p.s : is this a sign that the cycler is getting out of date ?

" The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know ... "

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,375 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

If this was a typical pcr protocol, it held the samples after cycling at 4C indefinitely. That was probably 10-12 hours. With any leakage of air into the sample holder, condensation of humidity will occur on the block. This is not surprising, nor worrying, but expected.

#3 nightingale

nightingale

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 191 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

If this was a typical pcr protocol, it held the samples after cycling at 4C indefinitely. That was probably 10-12 hours. With any leakage of air into the sample holder, condensation of humidity will occur on the block. This is not surprising, nor worrying, but expected.

thank you :)
this was the first time i see such thing, so i was worried :S
thanks ...

#4 neuropath

neuropath

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

thank you :)
this was the first time i see such thing, so i was worried :S
thanks ...

Some manufacturers recommend holding at 10C. Less condensation. If the condensation seeps into the circuit boards, you'll have a dead machine. 10C is just as good as 4C for preserving your samples for short periods

#5 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,151 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:55 AM

Some manufacturers recommend holding at 10C. Less condensation. If the condensation seeps into the circuit boards, you'll have a dead machine. 10C is just as good as 4C for preserving your samples for short periods

I think the main reason for this recomendation is to prolong the lifetime of Peltier blocks, which get exhausted by maintaining low temperatures for longer time.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#6 nightingale

nightingale

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 191 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

thanks alot for the valuable info. given :)
i will keep an eye on the cycler.

neuropath: & what does "short period" means, overnight for example ???

#7 neuropath

neuropath

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

thanks alot for the valuable info. given :)
i will keep an eye on the cycler.

neuropath: & what does "short period" means, overnight for example ???

The longest I've tried is overnight around 12 hrs. I hardly need to do that these days after I discovered Kapa Biosystem's fast enzymes. At 1kb extension per sec (yes, sec!), your typical run is over in less than 30 min. I use their slower enzyme (cheaper) but its still 2kb/min. As for pricing, its comparable with other brands

P/S I do not work for Kapa or own their shares!

Edited by neuropath, 04 May 2011 - 05:46 AM.

#8 nightingale

nightingale

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 191 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

The longest I've tried is overnight around 12 hrs. I hardly need to do that these days after I discovered Kapa Biosystem's fast enzymes. At 1kb extension per sec (yes, sec!), your typical run is over in less than 30 min. I use their slower enzyme (cheaper) but its still 2kb/min. As for pricing, its comparable with other brands

P/S I do not work for Kapa or own their shares!

per second ! ... that's really FAST !!!

p.s : are u sure of that ???!!! ;)

#9 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

I read the protocol, it says:

1 sec at 72 C for amplicons ≤1 kb, 15 sec/kb at 72 C for amplicons >1 kb

but then, the website also mention: Fragments up to 5 kb may be amplified from plasmid or lambda DNA with KAPA2G Fast, but fast amplification of genomic targets >3.5 kb is not recommended. (http://www.kapabiosy...g-fast-pcr-kits)

@neuropath: I wonder how long is your fragment that you need 12 hours to do your PCR last time.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#10 neuropath

neuropath

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:17 AM

I read the protocol, it says:

1 sec at 72 C for amplicons ≤1 kb, 15 sec/kb at 72 C for amplicons >1 kb

but then, the website also mention: Fragments up to 5 kb may be amplified from plasmid or lambda DNA with KAPA2G Fast, but fast amplification of genomic targets >3.5 kb is not recommended. (http://www.kapabiosy...g-fast-pcr-kits)

@neuropath: I wonder how long is your fragment that you need 12 hours to do your PCR last time.

It wasn't the reaction time. It was the cold soak at the end of the run. That's how this topic started

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.