• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Tag people

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Tagging members (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we allow tagging members in our post

1. Aye (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Nay (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Do anything, why did I bother reading this... (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:00 AM

I still dont get it .....

Me too.....I am too stupid for all this - never got the point of facebook and co too, but seems that a lot of people like these things

Or maybe they are just scared of casandra...

Oh oh pito....I would not have dared to speak this out......I would be scared of the verbal thirst of revenge of the best-ever-not-moderator-wannabe :unsure: but very likely you are right :P
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#17 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:33 AM

I know, you can post a pm to a specific person, but say, I need help on this forum, and I need Adrian, to help me out, I could just tag him here... and the matter will be brought to his attention straight away. This is better than :

Private:
Dear Adrian,

Casandra and Pito cant quite fathom 'tagging'. Could you please explain it to them.
Please visit the 'Suggestions' subforum .

Thanks,
Ameya

Public

Does this make it clear Casey? :P

wow...Ameya, you called me.....

yup but still if you're asking adrian the favour of explaining the quantum mechanics of tagging to me and pito, then at least spend a bit more time and effort in asking him prettily rather than just tagging him....it's sooooooo Facebook!!!! Hey, I don't have time to write you personally so just visit my facebook page and guess what I ate for breakfast...(or is this twitter? :lol:)

and then getting all these notifications is almost tantamount to getting spam mail....btw, what if just for the fun of it, someone starts tagging me for my expertise....or I'd start tagging you and gebZ for some brainstorming....think of all the posts I can tag you both for? And I would do it, you know....so do you want that? :D

Sorry Casey, I never study quantum mechanics before... lolx
What about give me your facebook link n let me know what you ate for breakfast? I wonder how Canadiam breakfast looks like....

Yes, it is very much Facebook. If tagging was my idea, I would approach a patenting office before posting it here.... :P .

Yes, people will tag each other and thats what it is for, get the person's attention and the notifications could stay on the forum (unless you want them by mail). Newer members wont tag anyone, cause they wont know the frequent visitors to the forum. While the older members will tag people as per their expertise. So, If I want to study fungi tomorrow, I would ask GebZ for help and not Adrian, or you Casandra (BTW what do you work on? Does any body know???? )

and yes, tag bioforum to make you a moderator.... we will support you...
you should have a poll for that.,... we live in a democratic (web)world... we have the member right to elect and retain our 'Moderators'

I know Casey work on SDS-PAGE before...

Note: Technically, I cant call Adrian for help. He too does not have a facebook account and probably wont support the advantages of tagging.
:lol:

Ok Ameya, you just told the world I don't have facebook.... <_<

I do not endorse or not support tagging... but I'm quite sure that if tagging is possible, I already got 4 notifications just on this subforum. :P
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#18 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:18 AM

you guys have been busy in this thread while I was sleeping....hope they don't lock this down (as it happened in the past)....

anyways, there is probably no such setting for tagging so this discussion is moot....but we can always talk about me and how scary I can be....but I will make a good moderator...I promise there will be justice, equality and the continuation of our universal health care system...ooops- now I'm talking like our dodgy federal politicians....:P...

and adrian, no link from me cos I really don't have an account...you can pm me if you wanna know what a canadian breakfast is.....and Ameya, you can also pm me if you really wanna know my expertise...:wacko:....btw, I also wanna start an anti-facebook movement...I wonder if my MP can help me do this...:D...
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#19 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:21 AM

BTW: I hardly ever notice any problems on the forum.. so either their arent a lot of problems and thus no need to have many (new) mods or the mods are doing a great job getting rid of the problems, so again: no need for a new moderator.. So either way: casandra is "not needed" (as a mod).

Ah, you cant beat logic, can you :lol:

so you're not going to support my bid for a moderating position? that's not very logical....ppfftt....shame on you, pito....:wacko:...:P

#20 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,321 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

BTW: I hardly ever notice any problems on the forum.. so either their arent a lot of problems and thus no need to have many (new) mods or the mods are doing a great job getting rid of the problems, so again: no need for a new moderator.. So either way: casandra is "not needed" (as a mod).

so you're not going to support my bid for a moderating position? that's not very logical....ppfftt....shame on you, pito....:wacko:...:P

I am neutral towards positive endorsements.. so I cant support anyone... otherwise I had to support everyone...

And why would they lock the topic? its still about the tagging...

Edited by pito, 22 April 2011 - 06:51 AM.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#21 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

I am neutral towards positive endorsements.. so I cant support anyone... otherwise I had to support everyone...

And why would they lock the topic? its still about the tagging...

well, if it has run around a bit or been threadjacked and already has some irrelevant posts- like me being nominated for moderator, then yup, they can lock it....and if I were moderator, yup, I would lock it too....that's how good a moderator I will be....;)

btw, hows this for your new sig, pito: a neutral endorsement for casandra to be moderator!!!! :lol:...

#22 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

you guys have been busy in this thread while I was sleeping....hope they don't lock this down (as it happened in the past)....

Not to be a crank, Casey, but that's probably why you didn't get to be a mod. ;)
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#23 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

Not to be a crank, Casey, but that's probably why you didn't get to be a mod. ;)

why, LaRa? because I would sleep on the job? :D...
truthfully tho', there's really no need for more mods....cos what we have here is a very nice, respectful, calm and peaceful forum....plus an occasional spammer or two.....:)

#24 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

[/quote]
truthfully tho', there's really no need for more mods....cos what we have here is a very nice, respectful, calm and peaceful forum....plus an occasional spammer or two.....:)
[/quote]

Errr...more like adding fuel to the fire... :lol:
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#25 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

Errr...more like adding fuel to the fire... :lol:

well, it depends on what you want to burn? :D

#26 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

truthfully tho', there's really no need for more mods....cos what we have here is a very nice, respectful, calm and peaceful forum....

This is sucking up to be the moderator.....
God was I right about whom I am supporting? or this too is a Manchurian candidate?

NEW!!!!  RotM: Our Interview with Prof. Steven Churchill on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#27 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:30 AM

well, if it has run around a bit or been threadjacked and already has some irrelevant posts- like me being nominated for moderator, then yup, they can lock it....

By this logic, shouldn't the 'Are you wearing a lab coat' post be locked down too. I stopped visiting it, when people started posting pictures of cavemen in undies...

NEW!!!!  RotM: Our Interview with Prof. Steven Churchill on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#28 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:37 AM

I do not endorse and not support tagging... but I'm quite sure that if tagging is possible, I already got 4 notifications just on this subforum. :P

See, if tagging were possible you could have joined in much earlier.

It is an urgent requirement in the suggestions section. I dont think, my "Genetics sub forum needs help " has any reply :(

#29 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

well, if it has run around a bit or been threadjacked and already has some irrelevant posts- like me being nominated for moderator, then yup, they can lock it....

By this logic, shouldn't the 'Are you wearing a lab coat' post be locked down too. I stopped visiting it, when people started posting pictures of cavemen in undies...

but that's in the joke subforum and the same goes for any chitchatting/philosophising threads...actually, most subforums in the protocol online community can be very tolerant of crazy, chaotic, irrelevant, irreverent posts...however, this here is the suggestion subforum- and thus,is strictly monitored by the great bioforum himself and the mods so we have to toe the line a bit....but this doesn't mean that you can't start a new thread suggesting me to be a moderator....:lol:..

Edited by casandra, 23 April 2011 - 08:01 AM.

#30 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,523 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

still haven't read all posts but of course I'm in favour of Mlle C to be a moderator...depends on the section of course... :lol:

and the tagging I find quite useless, with similar reasons as the others mentioned before: new members don't know who is experienced in the field, the other members would ask directly, if it's really necessary, i.e. if they expected a reply by an expert of this field or a special member and it's not coming. And for some members who know really a lot in many fields, it will become a nuisance because they'll get tons of notifications finally...
Mostly the people who would like to help and can help, easily find the threads where they're needed, except they're busy with other stuff or on holidays and not online anyway. Here of course the old search function that found unanswered threads, was really helpful. But this function is gone and unfortunately not possible to implement anymore.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.