• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Tag people

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Tagging members (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we allow tagging members in our post

1. Aye (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Nay (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Do anything, why did I bother reading this... (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

Hi Bioforum and members,

Just a suggestion that like the social networking sites, the forum could allow Tagging of members in their posts. This would of course send a notification to the member, who could then see the message directed at him/her. Often on the forum, we see people replying to posts after a prolonged period of time, after which the provided information might not be useful.

Also, it may give our seasoned users, like Casandra and Pito, a taste of social networking ;)

Edited by gt_ameya, 21 April 2011 - 12:42 AM.

NEW!!!!  RotM: Our Interview with Prof. Steven Churchill on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#2 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:57 AM

Hi Bioforum and members,

Just a suggestion that like the social networking sites, the forum could allow Tagging of members in their posts. This would of course send a notification to the member, who could then see the message directed at him/her. Often on the forum, we see people replying to posts after a prolonged period of time, after which the provided information might not be useful.

Also, it may give our seasoned users, like Casandra and Pito, a taste of social networking ;)

you're forgetting a fourth option Ameya...."for any post let us all tag Ameya"....:P

if you really want a certain member to pay attention to your post then why not just send them a pm? Or you want to tag several people for the same post? Then what about certain veterans who'd get lots of notifications from different members......perhaps they will not appreciate that? Or maybe, I really don't get this concept of tagging? :)

Edited by casandra, 21 April 2011 - 02:23 AM.

"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#3 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,321 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:10 AM

I dont get it , whats tagging?

As far as I understand it, you get a message when someone replies to your post?

There is allready a system like that: you can "monitor" your posts or any posts (topics) you wish and then you have the option to (for example) receive an email if someone makes a post.

Or do you mean you want to be able to tag certain person in stead of a topic? So that every time a person makes a post you get a message that this person made a post?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#4 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:16 AM

I dont get it , whats tagging?

As far as I understand it, you get a message when someone replies to your post?

There is allready a system like that: you can "monitor" your posts or any posts (topics) you wish and then you have the option to (for example) receive an email if someone makes a post.

Or do you mean you want to be able to tag certain person in stead of a topic? So that every time a person makes a post you get a message that this person made a post?

:P now we understand why the tagging is for us, pito....

I think that it's for the post...if you want a certain person to notice it or reply to it....

#5 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:02 AM

if you really want a certain member to pay attention to your post then why not just send them a pm? Or you want to tag several people for the same post? Then what about certain veterans who'd get lots of notifications from different members......perhaps they will not appreciate that? Or maybe, I really don't get this concept of tagging? :)

I know, you can post a pm to a specific person, but say, I need help on this forum, and I need Adrian, to help me out, I could just tag him here... and the matter will be brought to his attention straight away. This is better than :

Private:
Dear Adrian,

Casandra and Pito cant quite fathom 'tagging'. Could you please explain it to them.
Please visit the 'Suggestions' subforum .

Thanks,
Ameya

Public

Does this make it clear Casey? :P

Edited by gt_ameya, 21 April 2011 - 05:04 AM.

NEW!!!!  RotM: Our Interview with Prof. Steven Churchill on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#6 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:05 AM

I dont want to stalk Casandra and know when and how has she visited her temple :P

I just want Casandra to see this post and laugh :D

So I would tag Casandra here....

#7 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:07 AM

People please vote as well.

Of course, once you have made your decision to support it or go against it.

#8 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:11 AM

I think you do not need to tag casandra - she is following everything that goes on in this forum :blink:

@ pito: But wasn't there the function "view members post" when you visit the persons profile? So you can stalk casey easily and follow her expertise :P

I do not like this tagging stuff - quickly loosing track with such functions, probably too old to learn all this fancy new stuff ;)
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#9 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:38 AM

I know, you can post a pm to a specific person, but say, I need help on this forum, and I need Adrian, to help me out, I could just tag him here... and the matter will be brought to his attention straight away. This is better than :

Private:
Dear Adrian,

Casandra and Pito cant quite fathom 'tagging'. Could you please explain it to them.
Please visit the 'Suggestions' subforum .

Thanks,
Ameya

Public

Does this make it clear Casey? :P

yup but still if you're asking adrian the favour of explaining the quantum mechanics of tagging to me and pito, then at least spend a bit more time and effort in asking him prettily rather than just tagging him....it's sooooooo Facebook!!!! Hey, I don't have time to write you personally so just visit my facebook page and guess what I ate for breakfast...(or is this twitter? :lol:)

and then getting all these notifications is almost tantamount to getting spam mail....btw, what if just for the fun of it, someone starts tagging me for my expertise....or I'd start tagging you and gebZ for some brainstorming....think of all the posts I can tag you both for? And I would do it, you know....so do you want that? :D

Edited by casandra, 21 April 2011 - 05:47 AM.

#10 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

I think you do not need to tag casandra - she is following everything that goes on in this forum :blink:

@ pito: But wasn't there the function "view members post" when you visit the persons profile? So you can stalk casey easily and follow her expertise :P

I do not like this tagging stuff - quickly loosing track with such functions, probably too old to learn all this fancy new stuff ;)

Funny you mention this gebZ...nothing that goes on in this forum escapes me....do you remember how many times I shamelessly hinted to be made a moderator but was completely ignored :( ..perhaps we can start tagging bioforum for this...:lol:...

#11 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

it's sooooooo Facebook!!!! Hey, I don't have time to write you personally so just visit my facebook page and guess what I ate for breakfast...(or is this twitter? :lol:)

and then getting all these notifications is almost tantamount to getting spam mail....btw, what if just for the fun of it, someone starts tagging me for my expertise....or I'd start tagging you and gebZ for some brainstorming....think of all the posts I can tag you both for? And I would do it, you know....so do you want that? :D

Yes, it is very much Facebook. If tagging was my idea, I would approach a patenting office before posting it here.... :P .

Yes, people will tag each other and thats what it is for, get the person's attention and the notifications could stay on the forum (unless you want them by mail). Newer members wont tag anyone, cause they wont know the frequent visitors to the forum. While the older members will tag people as per their expertise. So, If I want to study fungi tomorrow, I would ask GebZ for help and not Adrian, or you Casandra (BTW what do you work on? Does any body know???? )

and yes, tag bioforum to make you a moderator.... we will support you...
you should have a poll for that.,... we live in a democratic (web)world... we have the member right to elect and retain our 'Moderators'

#12 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

Note: Technically, I cant call Adrian for help. He too does not have a facebook account and probably wont support the advantages of tagging.
:lol:

#13 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:43 PM

yes, of course I remember how often you dropped that you want to become a moderator - I think even bioforum had an "chatchy tune" hearing the calls of casandra :P

But btw - there are very few moderators around recently - I think we had much more in the "old" forum. For example Minnie Mouse was lost some time ago.....wonder where she is?
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#14 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:35 AM

So what are we looking for in 'to-be moderator'...

Clearly, Casandra is very regular in her visits to the forum, she has a good head on her shoulders, is not biased to people, expresses her views and concerns...is the biggest contributor to the Forum, on a daily basis ... is addicted with what people have to say .... cant stop posting under Words Words Words :P (our busiest topic and has high and long term targets for the same).... can crack a joke or two... loves her Lab coat ;) .... suggests new discussions in old and dead topics...

Probably, if you make her the moderator, she will also throw in her private number and become the 24-hr helpline for the forum :P

And Casandra, a little support for you....

#15 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,321 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:25 AM

I still dont get it .....

If someone wanted help from a certain member, then whats the difference between sending a PM and "tagging"....?

In the end it comes down to the same: you send them a message..?

Or am I really missing something here?

You say (or I believe you say/mean this) tagging is easier because you dont need to write a long message? But I dont get that.. When you have a question , you pos this question and thus you allready write it.. So whats the problem in copy and past this in a pm or send a short PM to someone that might be able to help...?

Well maybe I am seeing it all wrong, I dont know sh*it about tagging, facebook, twitter or whatever..
BTW: twitter? I still dont get it. Why would anyone want to know what famous person X ate last night or that famous person Y crapped his pants yesterday? Really.. I dont get it.
Do you need to pay for receiving those messages anyway? If you read them on your phone? (can you read those message on the internet too btw?)

This is still possible: you can still check the posts made by a certain member.

And about the moderators: isnt it normally like this: "the ones that dont ask for it, get it, the ones that do ask, are never getting it" or "look and you will not find, dont look and its right in front of your nose" ?

Or maybe they are just scared of casandra...

BTW: I hardly ever notice any problems on the forum.. so either their arent a lot of problems and thus no need to have many (new) mods or the mods are doing a great job getting rid of the problems, so again: no need for a new moderator.. So either way: casandra is "not needed" (as a mod).

Ah, you cant beat logic, can you :lol:

Edited by pito, 22 April 2011 - 03:04 AM.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.