• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

1-day old culture for DNA extraction - plausible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JYZero

JYZero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:34 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently involved in a project that requires a large stack of growth bacterial plates (Salmonella) for DNA extraction. I am wondering if it is absolutely necessary to use a fresh culture for DNA extraction (if not, it would save me an two extra days)? The latest I will be receiving these bacterial plates is two days after they have been streaked and incubated, so they would only be one day old. It'd be helpful if you could also post your experiences in DNA extraction using non-fresh cultures. Thanks!

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

tried 3 days bacteria culture on plate. No problem.
I don't extract the dna most of the time. I do direct colony/tip touch PCR.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 kajmak

kajmak

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

Just keep your cultures in fridge. Can keel them for 2-3 days (I haven't tried longer time). Or, day before you want to do DNA extraction just subculture you old cultures.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.