• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Agarose Gel Disposal

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to know what methods you use for disposal of agarose gels?

I am aware most institutions have boxes/ buckets etc, to collect them. What I am not sure about is how are they disposed off after that?

Are they autoclaved, incinerated or do they go to the landfill?

Thanks!!!

NEW!!!!  Your hand wash can give you cancer  on CoffeeTableScience!!!! 

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:02 AM

My institution: collect and incinerate. Haha...
<_<
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:13 AM

Adrian,

I thought your PI's Policy was to reuse gels till they disappear.... :P

But thanks.... you are the first poster....
I gift you the number '600' next to your posts!!!

Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#4 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:23 AM

Haha... almost... I did reuse it quite often....
now perhaps 601?

Ameya, I just found that people had published recently something I was about to send off... I can;t help but crying the whole afternoon.

90% identical work with mine.... same focus, same sample, same approach, just different genes.

Novel Pan-Genomic Analysis Approach in Target Selection for Multiplex PCR Identification and Detection of Burkholderia pseudomallei, Burkholderia thailandensis, and Burkholderia cepacia Complex Species: a Proof-of-Concept Study

http://jcm.asm.org/c...stract/49/3/814
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#5 grvsomani

grvsomani

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

in our lab we do virological studies.so agarose first autoclaved and then they are insinerated

Edited by grvsomani, 14 April 2011 - 07:30 AM.

#6 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

We do genomic studies, and stain with EB. These get collected and shipped to EHS. When I was in a different lab, we set the EB-stained gels in the south window for a day then discarded in the trash. The SYBR safe gels just went into the trash.
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#7 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

When I was in a different lab, we set the EB-stained gels in the south window for a day then discarded in the trash.

Could you elaborate on the 'south window' please lab rat ?

#8 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,337 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:57 AM

When I was in a different lab, we set the EB-stained gels in the south window for a day then discarded in the trash.

Could you elaborate on the 'south window' please lab rat ?

I think that she means that the sun will break down the EB.
(I dont really know the details about this, but I know some people do this.. )

However: putting in the sun for only one day seems not enough according to what I have heard about it.. (however, I dont know how much sun they have.. :D )

Edited by pito, 16 April 2011 - 02:12 AM.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#9 lab rat

lab rat

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

Yep, I meant in the sunlight, since EB breaks down under UV. I was also told by an older tech that you could throw away only so much per day in the regular trash. Sometimes our gels would sit for a few days before discarding.

To answer Pito's comment, we're on a higher latitude, so we have summer sunlight from 5:30 am to 9 pm. Winter, we have sunlight at noon...sometimes. :lol:
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#10 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,337 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:30 AM

Yep, I meant in the sunlight, since EB breaks down under UV. I was also told by an older tech that you could throw away only so much per day in the regular trash. Sometimes our gels would sit for a few days before discarding.

To answer Pito's comment, we're on a higher latitude, so we have summer sunlight from 5:30 am to 9 pm. Winter, we have sunlight at noon...sometimes. :lol:

Do you have some more information (paper?) on the details about the break down of EB under sunlight or uvlight?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#11 noyara

noyara

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

Hi,
We just discarded in trash.
About EB, we prepared the gel without EB, then after running the gel Immersed it in EB for few min, then destain in dH2O..

#12 lab rat

lab rat

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

Do you have some more information (paper?) on the details about the break down of EB under sunlight or uvlight?

I do not. I was told this by the people who trained me to work in the lab. I'll look, though.
I'll also point out that I said that we [the lab I work in now] collect our gels and send them to EHS for disposal. When I was responsible for my own materials, I sent them to be incinerated.

#13 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,546 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

I guess normally you cannot escape the hazardous waste regulations of your institution...useful or not. We let the gels dry, to reduce he volume a lot and then they go to special plastics containers for hazardous waste. They are picked up by a company from time to time and I guess then incinerated, too...

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#14 strawberry

strawberry

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

well...no way to get rid of them totally :unsure:

but can't we reuse them again in less specific staff..! :unsure:

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.