• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

agarose gel electrophoresis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 amrita

amrita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:39 AM

hello everybody i am facing a problem in visualization of DNA Bands on 0.8% agarose gel
After extracting DNA from whole blood,I resolved DNA on 0.8% agarose gel stained with ethidium bromide.After resolving,I visualized clear bands under UV light.Then I stored the gel in 1X TAE Buffer.After a period of 2 hours,bands disappeared.Can anyone please suggest me how to store agarose gel for atleast one day with intact bands?

#2 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:39 AM

Amrita,

How much TAE are you storing your gels in? I think you should be able to store it at 4oC (in a cling film with a little TAE) for a day. What do u need the bands for? Its intact DNA. Cant you use it from the tube directly ?

NEW!!!!  FISH on Wheels on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,506 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:43 AM

I'd store it wet (adding a bit buffer, to avoid drying), in plastic bag or box. But not submerged in buffer. And keep it dark and cool, if longer storage is needed. Also with time bands will become more diffuse.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#4 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

I'll bet if you re-stain the gel, the bands will be fine...

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.