• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Autoclave before adding MgCl2 and MgSO4?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marvin

Marvin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:06 AM

Hi,

I have a protocol with a SOB receipt that said autoclave the solution before adding MgCl2 and MgSO4. I just wondering if autoclave will destroy these two compounds, or is there any reason for this?

Also, it is necessary to set the pH to 7?

Thanks.

Edited by Marvin, 06 April 2011 - 07:06 AM.

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

Its not that you will destroy them, because both are soluble in water and you can autoclave them without problems.

But why you cant put them in before autoclaving? Good question, I think it has to do with other compononts in the medium that react with MgCl2 and MgSO4 and form precipitation or ...

But the detais about it: no idea...

Maybe you should autoclave a small sample with them added prior to autoclaving to see the difference?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 Marvin

Marvin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

Its not that you will destroy them, because both are soluble in water and you can autoclave them without problems.

But why you cant put them in before autoclaving? Good question, I think it has to do with other compononts in the medium that react with MgCl2 and MgSO4 and form precipitation or ...

But the detais about it: no idea...

Maybe you should autoclave a small sample with them added prior to autoclaving to see the difference?

Thanks. I do find some protocol that autoclave all compounds together. Maybe I'll just try it out sometime :)

#4 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

I've always filter sterilized my Mg2+ stock, and added it aseptically to the autoclaved SOB...

#5 philman

philman

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 103 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:46 AM

I autoclaved my SOB with the Mg salts in and it seemed to work fine, the only one I seem to remember where you have to be careful is if you are making SOC and adding glucose.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.