• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Centrifuge speed for DNA extraction

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marvin

Marvin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hi,

I'm using a protocol that extract DNA from wood samples. For extraction it uses chlorofrom-isoamyl alcohol and phenol-chloroform-isoamyl alcohol and centrifuge at 10,000g for 10min for each extraction. However, we are using 50ml tubes for extraction so the table centrifuge doesn't fit. The maximum we can get with our large centrifuge is around 1,700g.

What I wonder is the function of the centrifuge, is 10,000g centrifuge just to make sure all wood residue be pushed down to the bottom or does it relate with the extraction rate?

Thanks.

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

it is to ensure that you pellet all of the wood and separate the aqueous from the organic layer.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 Marvin

Marvin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

Thanks, mdfenko

I decide to try the slower centrifuge 1700g. But how can I know that the DNA is in the aqueous phase?

#4 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 332 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

Marvin,

In the next step, where you transfer the supernatant and add iso-amyl alcohol, you should be able to see white strands if you mix the two liquid layers. That is an indication that you have some nucleic acids in the supernatant.

NEW!!!!  RotM: Interview with Prof. Kenro Kusumi on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#5 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,781 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

Thanks, mdfenko

I decide to try the slower centrifuge 1700g. But how can I know that the DNA is in the aqueous phase?

the dna enters the aqueous phase when you mix. the centrifugation is to speed up the separation of phases as well as to pellet solids.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.