• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How do you use tips???

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you use tips??? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Male (19 votes [54.29%])

Percentage of vote: 54.29%

2. Female (16 votes [45.71%])

Percentage of vote: 45.71%

How do you use your tips

1. Left to right (10 votes [20.41%])

Percentage of vote: 20.41%

2. Right to left (8 votes [16.33%])

Percentage of vote: 16.33%

3. Random (11 votes [22.45%])

Percentage of vote: 22.45%

4. Top to bottom (7 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. Bottom to top (13 votes [26.53%])

Percentage of vote: 26.53%

How long have you been working in the lab?

1. >10 years (9 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

2. 2-10 years (17 votes [48.57%])

Percentage of vote: 48.57%

3. 0-2 years (9 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

Hi all,

I am just curious to know, if there is any gender/ experience bias in the way we use tips for our pipettes.
Please answer the questions.

Thanks,
Ameya

Edited by gt_ameya, 23 March 2011 - 10:04 PM.

NEW!!!!  Science and Christmas  on CoffeeTableScience!!!! 

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,338 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

Eum, as long as people dont fill in their gender... its not really usefull since you cant know who (male-female) answered the two other questions....

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:17 AM

oh, I answered from top to bottom and then left to right - this is very important and I am really neurotic about it - everybody in my lab keeps their fingers from my tip boxes ;)

So for me its two answers instead of one :)
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#4 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,338 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:22 AM

oh, I answered from top to bottom and then left to right - this is very important and I am really neurotic about it - everybody in my lab keeps their fingers from my tip boxes ;)

Lol, why is that so important?

Altough: I can understand why others need to stay off your boxes... I am a bit the same, but for other reasons: contamination....

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#5 almost a doctor

almost a doctor

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 244 posts
Good

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:36 AM

I also answered 2, didn't even consider just one.

I too do Left to Right, but is Bottom to Top :P and yes, it HAS TO BE that way ;)

#6 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:30 AM

A long time ago I started to sort EVERYTHING that way when doing DNA Extraction - so the reaction tubes - top to bottom left to right, I think mainly because we are using 8 piece PCR stripes. This reduces the risk of mixing samples and getting confused a lot when doing large extractions (i.e. 150 - 200 samples a day) - you have a automatic order to follow AND can control with the tips used where you are. At some point it got obsessive it seems....

Probably should consult a psychologist because of this! :rolleyes:

But no way to do it in another way, I would have the feeling to have made a mistake or mixed things up.....

#7 Chakchel

Chakchel

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:52 AM

There is one thing missing in this poll.
Is the person left or right handed?
I guess this has more influence than the gender of the person. ;)

#8 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:40 AM

I'm glad I'm not as neurotic as some of you people (esp you, gebZ)...I just keep my tip boxes under lock and key.....and booby-trapped...:D

or perhaps, we also choose the order according to how we read or write...the cultural connection? the western people would favour left to right then top to bottom...the arabs (and jewish?) right to left and the chineses and japanese- top to bottom....or something like this....what about in Hindi, Ameya?

Edited by casandra, 24 March 2011 - 08:18 AM.

"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#9 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:37 AM

and the thing is you are getting even more neurotic with age ;)

But as I see from my students it is not depending on the culture or on whether you are left or right handed - some people even "draw" when taking out tips - I once had a student who took the first tips from a box "drawing" houses, flowers, suns, smilies.... :lol:

#10 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

and the thing is you are getting even more neurotic with age ;)

But as I see from my students it is not depending on the culture or on whether you are left or right handed - some people even "draw" when taking out tips - I once had a student who took the first tips from a box "drawing" houses, flowers, suns, smilies.... :lol:

oooh...this is getting more interesting...perhaps a right vs left brain functioning? :P
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#11 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,338 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

A long time ago I started to sort EVERYTHING that way when doing DNA Extraction - so the reaction tubes - top to bottom left to right, I think mainly because we are using 8 piece PCR stripes. This reduces the risk of mixing samples and getting confused a lot when doing large extractions (i.e. 150 - 200 samples a day) - you have a automatic order to follow AND can control with the tips used where you are. At some point it got obsessive it seems....

But no way to do it in another way, I would have the feeling to have made a mistake or mixed things up.....

I can see this.. It makes sense...

Its because you want to maintain a certain order , a certain workmethod.

However: I understand it when you start with a fresh box (fille completely), but what when you start with a box that is half filled? They you cant really use the counting of the tips as a control? Or you do you remember where you started at? (by for example always starting at a new row.. and thus for example leaving a few tips in the box of a non complete row? .. if you get what I mean?)

#12 almost a doctor

almost a doctor

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 244 posts
Good

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

I can see this.. It makes sense...

Its because you want to maintain a certain order , a certain workmethod.

However: I understand it when you start with a fresh box (fille completely), but what when you start with a box that is half filled? They you cant really use the counting of the tips as a control? Or you do you remember where you started at? (by for example always starting at a new row.. and thus for example leaving a few tips in the box of a non complete row? .. if you get what I mean?)

Haha, Pito, that's exactly what I do, start in a new row/column ;) I'm with gebirgsziege there, I'm used to follow a certain order as this makes it easier to spot mistakes (or rather not make them).

I also have a labmate that "draws" in her tip boxes, I find it very odd but fun, thought it will really stress me to use her box :o maybe I need help :(

#13 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

This is interesting, I'm with you, almost a doctor ^_^
I too do Left to Right, and is from bottom to Top.

and when I fill in the tips, is from left to right, but from Top to bottom...usually.
I used to draw on my tips box too... kinda coincident. show u all my art next time.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#14 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,338 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

This is interesting, I'm with you, almost a doctor ^_^
I too do Left to Right, and is from bottom to Top.

and when I fill in the tips, is from left to right, but from Top to bottom...usually.
I used to draw on my tips box too... kinda coincident. show u all my art next time.

Are you talking about the same thing?

Draw on your box or make drawing in your box with the tips?

I can see how the logic arises when working with tips.. but for me: I only use a systematic why like that when I need to count and thus need to know where I am (wich well or ..) But if that is not the case, then I use them random.

#15 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

So far, atleast 16 members on the forum were jobless or wondering about their psychological state (while I slept peacefully).

Pito, I had thought that as a creator of the poll, I would be able to see all votes individually somehow and that would help me understand, if there is a gender bias.

For the same reason again, I would have also liked to know, if experience makes you neurotic. So far, only gebirgsziege has voted for that.

Draw with tips, that's something I have not seen/ heard of. Probably somebody should post some pics in Casandra's art gallery :P

Reg. your cultural logic, Casandra, I go right to left, bottom to top and there goes your theory to pieces.

And above all and to everyone'e envy, I DONT FILL MY TIP BOXES!!!!! There are people in the lab who do it for me. Yes, I am spoilt geek :D

NEW!!!!  Science and Christmas  on CoffeeTableScience!!!! 

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.