• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

MTT assay for cytotoxicity studies?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bonchem

bonchem

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:14 AM

Hi All
Im currently using the MTT assay to determine the effect our compounds have on some cancer cell lines.

However if the MTT is metabolised by cells to give the characteristic purple forazan how do i know if these compounds are cytotoxic (as in kill the cells)so less formazan is produced or that our compounds just slows the cells down metabolically , so the cells are still alive but just metabolising much slower.
Can i infere from the MTT assay that our compounds are cytotoxic?

cheers

#2 Inmost sun

Inmost sun

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:20 AM

I do not know what you do you think what the term "cytotoxic" means :blink:

cytotoxicity of a compound affects vitality of cells and depends on its concentration; if cells are metabolizing slower after application of a compound this compound is cytotoxic

Hi All
Im currently using the MTT assay to determine the effect our compounds have on some cancer cell lines.

However if the MTT is metabolised by cells to give the characteristic purple forazan how do i know if these compounds are cytotoxic (as in kill the cells)so less formazan is produced or that our compounds just slows the cells down metabolically , so the cells are still alive but just metabolising much slower.
Can i infere from the MTT assay that our compounds are cytotoxic?

cheers

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.