• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

DNA pellet

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:22 AM

This is just an observation.

Although, we use the same DNA extraction kit, and process the samples from the same source, I have observed that when a lab mate of mine processes samples, after 70% ethanol wash, the DNA pellet refuses to stick to the tube. Usually, we centrifuge for a 1min but even after centrifugation for 3 minutes, this pellet stays in 70% ethanol.

This makes supernatant discarding quite tough and time consuming. But what bothers me the most, is why isn't the pellet sticking to the tube?

NEW!!!!  5 Reasons why Rosetta is a SUPERSTAR on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

Hi Ameya,
Do you mean you saw the pellet, but it doesn't stay there?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,740 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

do you use everything the same?

maybe your labmate uses a different brand of tube or a different model (eg- siliconized)?

or a different (older) bottle of 70% ethanol?
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#4 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

Yes Adrian, the pellet is seen, but refuses to stick to the tube.

mdfenko, NOTHING is different. The lab mate is new to the lab. So, everything being used is mine.
Its just a different pair of hands doing the job.

Should that make such a large difference?

Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,317 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:49 PM

Yes Adrian, the pellet is seen, but refuses to stick to the tube.

mdfenko, NOTHING is different. The lab mate is new to the lab. So, everything being used is mine.
Its just a different pair of hands doing the job.

Yes, it could make a difference.

Did you see him do it?

And you do see the pellet? Its not that you dont see a pellet (or hardly at all) when the labmate does it?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#6 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

Did you see him do it?

And you do see the pellet? Its not that you dont see a pellet (or hardly at all) when the labmate does it?

If you say, it could make a difference, could you please explain how?

The whole process is done under my supervision. The ingredients used are exactly the same.

And as I said, I am not worried about the pellet not being there.... I am worried about the pellet not sticking to the vial. How do you explain that????

#7 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,317 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:46 AM

Did you see him do it?

If you say, it could make a difference, could you please explain how?

The whole process is done under my supervision. The ingredients used are exactly the same.

And as I said, I am not worried about the pellet not being there.... I am worried about the pellet not sticking to the vial. How do you explain that????

Give a protocol to 20 people and give them the same substances (same bottles etc) and you will get 10 different results in the end...
There are always factors influencing the results: shaking too long, shaking to hard, doing something different when extracting.. Always hard to tell.
Its also possible that it all starts at the beginning: the DNA extraction itself, when you add the cells to your tubes.
Let him to the first step and then you take over and let him then work with your first step.
And see what the results then are. Maybe he just doesnt take enough DNA at the start (not enough cells or something like that).
But in your case: if you indeed see (supervise) what he does, it is indeed a bit strange that you get such a different result.

And why it doesnt stick to the vial.. hard to tell. It is indeed weird.
But you do see a pellet, right? Or not? Because this makes a differce.

BTW: how many times have you observed this "not sticking" to the vial? Only once? Or is it everytime?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#8 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:04 AM

BTW: how many times have you observed this "not sticking" to the vial? Only once? Or is it everytime?

Today was day 3 in a row...

#9 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,317 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:08 AM

Today was day 3 in a row...

Oh ok, its not a fluke then.

It does stay strange.

Do you see a big pellet that doesnt stick to the vial or rather a very small one?
And do you see a difference in pellet right after you started (when you did the extraction, gathered the cells itself)

PS. What does rervm cognoscere cavsas means? Shouldnt it be: rerum cognoscere cavsas?

Edited by pito, 10 March 2011 - 02:11 AM.

#10 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:42 AM

Fish the floating pellet out with a pipette tip and see that it is DNA. It's likely that the "pellet" you're seeing is not the DNA, but some polysaccharide or other cell debris.

What protocol (kit) are you using?

#11 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:53 AM

Do you see a big pellet that doesnt stick to the vial or rather a very small one?
And do you see a difference in pellet right after you started (when you did the extraction, gathered the cells itself)

PS. What does rervm cognoscere cavsas means? Shouldnt it be: rerum cognoscere cavsas?

Its a medium sized pellet. I dint get the second part of your question.

Yes, I guess so... but my univ logo maintains the 'V' in 'rerum'. I dunno why? Do you speak latin? could you tell me whats the difference?

#12 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

Fish the floating pellet out with a pipette tip and see that it is DNA. It's likely that the "pellet" you're seeing is not the DNA, but some polysaccharide or other cell debris.

What protocol (kit) are you using?

Homebrew,

It is quite possible that the "pellet" has cell debris or something else. It is a bit sticky than when I isolate DNA. But it definitely has DNA. The PCRs work fine, irrespective of the nature of the pellet.

Its Qiagen Puregene Blood Core Kit B

#13 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,317 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Its a medium sized pellet. I dint get the second part of your question.

Yes, I guess so... but my univ logo maintains the 'V' in 'rerum'. I dunno why? Do you speak latin? could you tell me whats the difference?

With the second part of my question I ment: do you see a difference at the very beginning at the start of the protocol? Its possible he just doesnt have as many cells as you have to start with. This could explain why he has a lesser visible pellet.
But I think this isnt the case since you said it is a medium sized, very well visible pellet.

Weird thing anyway, if it all comes from the same samples and you use the same products.

About the rervm or rerum: in latin there is no "u" they dont know that letter. They use a "v" , but it can mean 2 things, depending on the word. In rerum it should mean a "u" (or pronounced as a "u" (altough, the prononciation is "oe", but to state its oe we write u now..)
But in modern text they write the U in stead of the V , your university still uses the old style then :) thats why I got confused.
I think there are many universities with that logo.

#14 chimpsarehungry

chimpsarehungry

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

You can still fish it out of the ethanol with a pipette right? Try putting it into a different type of tube like a 1.5mL tube and spin that down and see if it sticks.

#15 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 330 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

You can still fish it out of the ethanol with a pipette right? Try putting it into a different type of tube like a 1.5mL tube and spin that down and see if it sticks.

Thanks for your suggestion. Welcome to Bioforum as well :) But could you tell me why should I do that? Do you think, its the tube that is responsible for the pellet not sticking?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.