• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Can Qiagen columns remove genomic DNA?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

I have come to ask for the collective wisdom of Bioforum

Earlier this evening, I got into a debate with a labmate of mine. We were discussing the merits of column based DNA purification method versus modified alkaline lysis method for BAC extraction.

While there were many point which we disagreed on, one point she raised had me thinking.

She claimed that column based BAC purification has less contaminating bacterial genomic DNA. The reasoning being that genomic DNA being longer than BAC DNA, has a stronger affinity to the column matrix. Thus when the DNA is eluted from the column, BAC DNA is preferentially eluted.

I on the other hand think that at 10kb and larger the binding affinity of a BAC and sheered genomic DNA would be no different. Both would bind and dissociate with equal efficiency to the column matrix.

What is really happening within the column?

This question could be answered by experiment. But that would take actual work and time - next week.
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#2 hwtham

hwtham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

I think we will always somehow get traces of genomic DNA in our eluted plasmid sample. Just that because the eluted sample contains majority of plasmid molecules, subsequent experiments show good results.

#3 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,733 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

I think you are correct perneseblue, the size differentiation is based on charge of the DNA as far as I can tell, so BACs and sheared genomic DNA should bind with equal efficiency.... however, if you are careful with the extraction there shouldn't be much sheared DNA.

#4 caltransplant

caltransplant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:27 AM

Traces of genomic DNA will elute, but you won't get complete removal from the column. Learned this one the hard way after trying to column clean genomic digests...

#5 Nephrite

Nephrite

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:38 AM

Hello :-)

I was just wondering where to post my question and I saw your discussion.

I work with RNA`s. Can you explain me how actually the step with Qiagen gDNA Eliminator spin column removes the gDNA from the sample? It is based on.....something like size-excluzion filtration, or...?

Thank you,

Nephrite

#6 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,733 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

It will be based on the solubility of DNA and RNA at different pH I suspect.

#7 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

It is due mainly to the pH of the buffers.The interaction between DNA, RNA and column matrix is pH and salt dependent.
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.