• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Do you know good sequencing companies?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Wolverena

Wolverena

Spirit

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

Hi there,

I was wondering if you have a favorite sequencing company? I am specifically looking for companies that do Sanger sequencing (for full 16s rDNA). However, there are so many companies out there that it is a bit overwhelming. So I thought I'll check what your opinions are. Please let me know if there is a company you trust. Thanks!

Cheers,
Verena
"You can give somebody a book on 'How to ride bike' and then test that person on that knowledge. Even if that person gets an "A", it doesn't mean that he or she can ride a bike."
---this is what I am telling myself when I get a bad grade....as long as you don't loose your passion, you'll be fine.....V

#2 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Good

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:47 AM

Macrogen

#3 pDNA

pDNA

Veteran

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 494 posts
Good

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:27 AM

I would prefere a company that is somehow near your lab (if possible on the same continent) ...so you do not have to send samples all around the world (allthough some people do send samples for sanger sequencing e.g. from Europe to Korea and that is a bit weird to me). Normally, sanger sequencing is a state of the art technique and read lengths >1000bp are more or less standard ...i think it is most important to purify the DNA in a good way because when it is of poor quality the sequencing will fail no matter what company you have choosen.

Regards,
p

Macrogen

#4 DrDocter

DrDocter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:15 AM

Source BioScience are good in Europe, they have labs in UK, Irelan and Germany. Where are you?

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,479 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

I would prefere a company that is somehow near your lab (if possible on the same continent) ...so you do not have to send samples all around the world (allthough some people do send samples for sanger sequencing e.g. from Europe to Korea and that is a bit weird to me). Normally, sanger sequencing is a state of the art technique and read lengths >1000bp are more or less standard ...i think it is most important to purify the DNA in a good way because when it is of poor quality the sequencing will fail no matter what company you have choosen.

Regards,
p

Macrogen

I agree with you, but we use macrogen too.. just because its soo cheap.. Altough I dont agree with it because the impact (CO2, airplance etc) is too big. But, money still rules ... and sending it to macrogen still stays very cheap <_<

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#6 pDNA

pDNA

Veteran

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 494 posts
Good

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:54 AM

how cheap is it? .../per run?

Regards,
p

Regards,
p

Macrogen

I agree with you, but we use macrogen too.. just because its soo cheap.. Altough I dont agree with it because the impact (CO2, airplance etc) is too big. But, money still rules ... and sending it to macrogen still stays very cheap <_<

#7 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 237 posts
Good

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

4/run, free shipping for over 20 samples

#8 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 237 posts
Good

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

I would prefere a company that is somehow near your lab (if possible on the same continent) ...so you do not have to send samples all around the world (allthough some people do send samples for sanger sequencing e.g. from Europe to Korea and that is a bit weird to me). Normally, sanger sequencing is a state of the art technique and read lengths >1000bp are more or less standard ...i think it is most important to purify the DNA in a good way because when it is of poor quality the sequencing will fail no matter what company you have choosen. Regards,p

Macrogen

As for the impact. I'm pretty sure there are easier ways to help our planet than to stop shipping samples to Korea?

#9 pDNA

pDNA

Veteran

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 494 posts
Good

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

for sure there are better ways ...i agree with you!
...but you know things add up!!! Sequencing from Korea, Apples from Chile, Bananas from Costa Rica, Clothes from China, Shoes from Vietnam and so on! I know we live in a globalized world ...if we want to stop pollution/climate change we have to overthink our habits.

Okay, i pay 0.5 more per run ...but therefore have a lower carbon footprint since i send my samples 500 km instead of 10000 km.
Think about that ...and how many researchers are on this planet ...and if everyone sends his samples all around the world just because of the mony and due to the fact that someone does it cheaper ...where we will end up?

So, i do not blame Macrogen ...it is for sure a good company ...and i like Korea ...so it has nothing to do with that ...just to make that clear :)

Regards,
p
[/quote]
As for the impact. I'm pretty sure there are easier ways to help our planet than to stop shipping samples to Korea?
[/quote]

#10 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,479 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

I would prefere a company that is somehow near your lab (if possible on the same continent) ...so you do not have to send samples all around the world (allthough some people do send samples for sanger sequencing e.g. from Europe to Korea and that is a bit weird to me). Normally, sanger sequencing is a state of the art technique and read lengths >1000bp are more or less standard ...i think it is most important to purify the DNA in a good way because when it is of poor quality the sequencing will fail no matter what company you have choosen. Regards,p

Macrogen

No... if you keep thinking like that, then you can justify everything....

Really, do you think its normal to send a package so many miles away just to save a buck? Its not only the airplane... its everything..
Its the mentality in general.
+ you keep supporting the fact that they have cheaper workers over there....

Its not amazing that there isnt a company in europe that can do it for the same price...

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#11 Wolverena

Wolverena

Spirit

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

Hi there...

Thanks everybody for their replies.

Just a short update: I looked at their website and it seems like that Macrogen has sequencing facilities in the US as well. So if you are in the US, then that would mean no shipping to Korea.

Cheers,
V
"You can give somebody a book on 'How to ride bike' and then test that person on that knowledge. Even if that person gets an "A", it doesn't mean that he or she can ride a bike."
---this is what I am telling myself when I get a bad grade....as long as you don't loose your passion, you'll be fine.....V

#12 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 237 posts
Good

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

Macrogen

No... if you keep thinking like that, then you can justify everything....Really, do you think its normal to send a package so many miles away just to save a buck? Its not only the airplane... its everything..Its the mentality in general.+ you keep supporting the fact that they have cheaper workers over there....Its not amazing that there isnt a company in europe that can do it for the same price...

Dude, in my opinion you're just overdoing it a bit. I am all for eco, I just wanted to say there are better places to start, especially if saving a buck can help run a few additional sequences, get more results and eventually contribute in a small way. I would say going to work on foot or by bike instead of in your car or the subway saves more CO2 emissions than sending your samples to Germany instead of Korea. Not that I am in any way affiliated to the company, but they have cheaper prices because they have state-of-the-art robot sequencers not because they have cheap labor. We are talking about Korea, not China.

#13 pDNA

pDNA

Veteran

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 494 posts
Good

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:31 AM

Don't get offended ...DUDE!

Macrogen

No... if you keep thinking like that, then you can justify everything....Really, do you think its normal to send a package so many miles away just to save a buck? Its not only the airplane... its everything..Its the mentality in general.+ you keep supporting the fact that they have cheaper workers over there....Its not amazing that there isnt a company in europe that can do it for the same price...

Dude, in my opinion you're just overdoing it a bit. I am all for eco, I just wanted to say there are better places to start, especially if saving a buck can help run a few additional sequences, get more results and eventually contribute in a small way. I would say going to work on foot or by bike instead of in your car or the subway saves more CO2 emissions than sending your samples to Germany instead of Korea. Not that I am in any way affiliated to the company, but they have cheaper prices because they have state-of-the-art robot sequencers not because they have cheap labor. We are talking about Korea, not China.

#14 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,479 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:13 AM

Macrogen

They have companies in europe (holland), japan and usa too... But do they sequence there too?
In the past: you could send samples to holland for free if you are from a european country.. but they didnt sequence it there, they just shipped it to korea too.....
You can say all you want: but its the same company, then why dont they have the same machine in europe (for ex) too? If its the machine itself....?
And what about other companies? WHy dont they have such machines? Is it because of patent laws or is it more then just the machine...?

And how can it be cheaper to send samples so far away? It doesnt add up really, I cant imagine that a flight to korea would be the same price as one to germany for ex (if you are in europe) or even if that the price to korea would be more expensive, that in the end the price of korea could still be soo cheap just because of the machine...

And I am not saying that Korea is like china or whatever , but its just weird, hard to understand how this is possible.

#15 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 342 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:13 AM

Probably, over a longer period of time, it is cheaper to transport samples(across the globe) and process them automatically, than pay (local) staff for handling samples and process them automatically in the same region.

Also, installing imported machinery in a country might be an issue.

BTW, what is the turn around time for these companies, if the samples are shipped to Korea? The sequencing department (on the same floor)at my uni took 3 days.

NEW!!!! Would you donate your poop for a loved one? on CoffeeTableScience!!!! 

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.