• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

which Mphil admission offer should i accept?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hello world

hello world

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

Hi all,

i've received 2 admission offer from 2 graduate school. However, it is really the hardest decision i have even made and i dont know which one will be the "right" choice~ Can you guy please give me some opinion.

The reason i want to continue to do research is that i want to cure my own disease --essential tremor (i know this thought is naive but i still want to try so that i have no regret in my life. If my status is worsen, i may not even able to hold a pipette anymore, but never mind, i really like science). So, i have 2 offers. One is related to iRNA of cancer. Another is related to drug development of parkinson disease (mainly screening for new potential drug, seems a bit boring). For the latter one, the supervisior is my professor in my undergraduate and he is a nice and easy-going person(treat you like his friends or son) it seems that he also have a large friends network on neuroscience,too However, the problem is that he doesnt have much funding. Furthermore, the journal his paper published usually is not popular (such as neuroscience letters?)

For the former one, the supervisor is an editor board member of several cancer journal (highest one with impact factor 4). He gets much more funding and better publications than the latter one (however, in most of his publication in recent year, he is the first author but he should not be involved in lab work anymore). i was interviewed through phone and talk with him for not more than 10 minutes. I dont know what kind of person but in the communication, he mentioned that he want me publish 1 or 2 papers for him (is it difficult?). From his tone, it seems that he also care about his student too and should not too bad to be a supervisor. However, because i will definitely study essential tremor in Phd, i dont know whether switching field from cancer to neuroscience would be easy. (i may be able to apply my iRNA knowledge on neuroscience but i dont know these professor will like it).

So, the core question is which one is more important to my Phd admission? what i do in Mphil + my Mphil supersivisor's personal network or a better publication?

(i cant study essential tremor directly in Mphil because no one is doing such research in my country)

Can you guy please give me some advice? Thanks a lot~

Cheers,
Hello World

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.