• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Nitrocellulose membrane storage after transfer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ecgian

ecgian

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

Tomorrow I will be doing SDS-PAGE and then transfer onto nitrocellulose membranes, but I don't know if I'll be able to start the actual Western blot procedure. I was wondering, is there a way for me to store my membrane over the weekend after the transfer? If so, what is the best way? In millipore water? Should I wash w/TBST and then block and keep it in block over the weekend?

#2 Jordan W

Jordan W

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

I kept my membrane in the block buffer for like a week once and it still worked beautifully.

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

i would keep it in the blocking solution, at 4C, over the weekend.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#4 ecgian

ecgian

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Great, thanks! And it should still work fine after keeping it in block over the weekend?

Thanks for your help!

#5 DarwinDuck

DarwinDuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

How many times should i use my nitrocellulose membrane and shall i save it in ddH2O water in 4oC between probings?? I've noticed that by doing that my proteins dissapear after 3-4 uses..

#6 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

How many times should i use my nitrocellulose membrane and shall i save it in ddH2O water in 4oC between probings?? I've noticed that by doing that my proteins dissapear after 3-4 uses..

are you stripping between probes? if so then you may be removing your proteins as well.

you may want to store in blocking buffer between uses instead of water.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#7 DarwinDuck

DarwinDuck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:41 AM

are you stripping between probes? if so then you may be removing your proteins as well.

you may want to store in blocking buffer between uses instead of water.

I'm not stripping my membrane. I've used to in the past, but i 've realized that it is too stringent for proteins...so i'd rather not..
I suppose you mean blocking buffer with BSA...becasue milk goes bad too soon..about 3 days..I will try it!!

Thanx anyway!!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.