• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Growing insect cells with other cell lines

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saad

saad

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

Dear All
I just start growing insect cells SF9 for protein expression. I wonder if I can use the same incubator and shaker that we use in our lab to grow E coli. Also what about the flow hood that we use for mammalian cell culture. Do I need to specify incubator, shaker and flow hood for the insect cells.
I haven't had a good experience in this area so I am concern form cross contamionation form other cell lines.

I need your help
Thanks in advance

Edited by saad, 13 February 2011 - 09:18 PM.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

I think you will find that insect cells are grown at a lower temperature than other cells as insects are poikilotherms.

It is never a good idea to grow your cell cultures where bacteria are grown, contamination is a big enough issue as it is without adding extra bacteria.

The flow hood should be fine.

#3 Don Boyce

Don Boyce

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:13 AM

You should always be concerned about cross contamination. If you are using a closed culture vessel, e. g. flask w/cover, it shouldn't be a problem putting both cultures in the same CO2 incubator assuming the growth conditions are similar. Be sure to label the vessels clearly to prevent a mix-up.

I would not recommend using the same flow hood for any manipulations until you have done a validation of your cleaning procedure between the introduction of a new cell to show that there are no residual cells.

Edited by Don Boyce, 15 February 2011 - 06:16 AM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.