• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

control DNA transformation- using pGEM kit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uglearner

uglearner

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

I am very new to this forum and cloning. I am working on a school project on cloning. I am only seeing white colonies on the control DNA plate, it means that my control worked because the control DNA is designed to produce white colonies. I also see white colonies with very faint blue centers on my plate with the inserted ligation. Can I assume that these colonies have my insert. Pls advise .

Edited by uglearner, 02 February 2011 - 12:31 PM.

#2 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

grow in broth and extract plasmid to check?

#3 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 175 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

I am very new to this forum and cloning. I am working on a school project on cloning. I am only seeing white colonies on the control DNA plate, it means that my control worked because the control DNA is designed to produce white colonies. I also see white colonies with very faint blue centers on my plate with the inserted ligation. Can I assume that these colonies have my insert. Pls advise .

Huh.. we never got to do this sort of stuff at school!

I don't know for sure, but I suspect, that the reason for the white colonies with blue only at the centre is because the X-Gal or IPTG got used up and metabolised by the centre of the colony as it grew towards the size which you observed it at. Thus, I'd reason that those colonies do not contain the insert. Still, I've been wrong many times before! As the Curtis suggests, you could find out for sure by extracting your plasmid and restricting or performing junction PCR. Not sure whether your school would provide the resources for this, though?

#4 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 175 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

Huh.. we never got to do this sort of stuff at school!

I don't know for sure, but I suspect, that the reason for the white colonies with blue only at the centre is because the X-Gal or IPTG got used up and metabolised by the centre of the colony as it grew towards the size which you observed it at. Thus, I'd reason that those colonies do not contain the insert. Still, I've been wrong many times before! As the Curtis suggests, you could find out for sure by extracting your plasmid and restricting or performing junction PCR. Not sure whether your school would provide the resources for this, though?

This was another of those times! I've just read in our Molecular Cloning book (Sambrook and Russel), page 1.125, "Colonies that carry recombinant plasmids do not contain active beta-galactosidase. These colonies are creamy-white or eggshell blue, sometimes with a faint blue spot in the center". So it sounds as though your colonies might very well (have) contain(ed) the desired plasmids!

Still, this raises the question for me, what's going on at the centre of those colonies to produce the blue colouration?

Edited by seanspotatobusiness, 08 February 2011 - 11:08 AM.

#5 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

Possible of overlapping between inserted and non-inserted colonies. There is also a vary rare chances that your inserted fragment forming a recombinant proteins which is a weak but active beta-galactosidase gene.
I would do a streak plate to double verify the purity again before using it in my work.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.