• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Solve puzzles for Science

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:26 AM

For all the gambling addicts, protein scientists and people who have sufficient time and like it to play, but also like it to help scientists dealing with protein folding issues:

FOLDIT

FoldIt is a game in which humans try to solve one of the hardest computational problems in biology: protein folding. You don't need to know anything about biology to play the game, although a little background will help. Download the software, install it and play.
The application displays a graphical representation of the protein's structure which the user is able to manipulate with a set of tools.
As the structure is modified, a "score" is calculated based on how well-folded the protein is, and a list of high scores for each puzzle is maintained. Foldit users may create and join groups, and share puzzle solutions with each other; a separate list of group high scores is maintained.

Example image of the game interface:

Posted Image

Edited by hobglobin, 30 January 2011 - 05:53 AM.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#2 strawberry

strawberry

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:26 AM

looks good!
thnx for sharing hobglobin, w'll try it for sure! ;)

#3 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:41 AM

Maybe I'm not good in protein folding stuff.... the game was damn hard for me!
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#4 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

I had installed this like a month ago, after following a suggestion from the forum here...

I think there are 21 starter puzzles.... and then you reach the regular game....

Never made it past the 11 th puzzle... probably my spatial abilities are not as good as i think

NEW!!!!  Your hand wash can give you cancer  on CoffeeTableScience!!!! 

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.