• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

I keep getting rejected for post-doc

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 K.B.

K.B.

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

KB: Still looking for job??? A couple of my friends from the EU got jobs in Ireland. Have you tried there????

Ireland got hit pretty badly by global economic crisis from what I have heard, but I'll check it out.

The most of vacancies I see are from the UK, Netherlands, Denmark, and Switzerland - but I think it's because other are more likely to post jobs in their own respective languages and I only read English (as second language that is).

The problem is not in finding vacancy, but in getting a reply, though... If a recruiter has 50 applications from which 49 are "local" and 50th is a person with funny sounding name from the other side of Europe - guess who's not getting invitation for an interview?...

Curtis,
I don't know about age requirements for a PhD, but for a post-doc there are no regulations for age of an applicant - and there are rules against discrimination based on age (in addition to other kinds).

as for links - try those:
www.jobs.ac.uk
www.academictransfer.com
ec.europa.eu/eures
www.eurosciencejobs.com

You should also try some networking eg. if you got your MSc in the UK - e-mail your advisor, professors, colleagues etc.

#17 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

guys I think I got the post-doc position already, we had some verbal agreements with my own supervisor. So it's done...the news came out of nowhere just now. my hands are shaking of happiness, couldn't accept the fact of being a jobless-old-PhD-holder-who-cannot-feed-his-wife

Another congratulations then. Has it really been that long, Curtis? It seems like only yesterday when we were teasing you here about your sleeping and showering in the lab and your uncombed hair....now you already have a PhD and even managed to finally find a victim...erm....a fiancée, I mean. :D We're happy for you dude and good luck with your new job.
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#18 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 329 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

guys I think I got the post-doc position already, we had some verbal agreements with my own supervisor. So it's done...the news came out of nowhere just now. my hands are shaking of happiness, couldn't accept the fact of being a jobless-old-PhD-holder-who-cannot-feed-his-wife

Hey Curtis,

Congratulations!!!!!

So when you getting married.... now that you have a job!!

NEW!!!!  Living with Malaria on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#19 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

KB: Still looking for job??? A couple of my friends from the EU got jobs in Ireland. Have you tried there????

You should also try some networking eg. if you got your MSc in the UK - e-mail your advisor, professors, colleagues etc.

Thanks KB. No offense to the Brits in here, but UK is the last place I would want to go, I really had a tough time there. specially Colchester was really a dead town, after 5 pm everything was shut down. I don't understand the logic behind closing your shops after 5 pm when it is technically the time people are free to go shopping after office hours !!! besides, I really got issue with English accent, not to mention the Irish accent. No offense but I find it difficult being somewhere I can't understand a word. Being in a non-English speaking country was better for me, as for some reason it's easier to communicate with people who are not native English speakers.

I will stay in Malaysia for some more time, publish some more papers and then try to go back to Zurich, Switzerland where I grew up.

#20 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:25 AM

Another congratulations then. Has it really been that long, Curtis? It seems like only yesterday when we were teasing you here about your sleeping and showering in the lab and your uncombed hair....now you already have a PhD and even managed to finally find a victim...erm....a fiancée, I mean. :D We're happy for you dude and good luck with your new job.

Hey Curtis,

Congratulations!!!!!

So when you getting married.... now that you have a job!!

thanks guys, we are applying to grant now.

#21 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:24 AM

Congrats Curtis, still in Malaysia during this holidays?
Perhaps I shall get "ang pow" from you this time... stay in Serdang?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#22 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:29 AM

No I'm Mont Kiara, behind Solaris...I posted an ang pow to my wife just recently, getting her to know CNY stuff

#23 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:40 AM

No I'm Mont Kiara, behind Solaris...I posted an ang pow to my wife just recently, getting her to know CNY stuff

Wow, a rich people residence... I'm in PJ, but will visit my grandma this CNY... maybe meet you up one day in the future. ^_^
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

#24 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Wow, a rich people residence... I'm in PJ, but will visit my grandma this CNY... maybe meet you up one day in the future. ^_^

A truly auspicious beginning, Curtis....Happy CNY guys...where's my ang pow? gold coins would be very much appreciated...:)

#25 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

Wow, a rich people residence..

No la, saya hidup di jalan Dutamas

#26 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:02 AM

A truly auspicious beginning, Curtis....Happy CNY guys...where's my ang pow? gold coins would be very much appreciated...:)

Hi Casey,
I assume you are not Chinese descent, correct me if I'm wrong.
We can only give you ang pow when 2 conditions were fulfilled:
1) We are married (I'm not)
2) You are younger than us

So how old are you? lolx...
Anyway, just in case you was not given an "ang pow" before, I can make an exception and mail it over to Canada for you, just PM me your address.... haha

Edited by adrian kohsf, 01 February 2011 - 09:10 AM.

#27 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

Wow, a rich people residence..

No la, saya hidup di jalan Dutamas

Wow, I can imagine you suffered all the daily traffic Jam through the federal highway when you travel to your institution ...

Curtis, You are not Malay, are you? I thought "menetap/tinggal/duduk" is a correct word instead of "hidup"?

#28 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hi Casey,
I assume you are not Chinese descent, correct me if I'm wrong.
We can only give you ang pow when 2 conditions were fulfilled:
1) We are married (I'm not)
2) You are younger than us

So how old are you? lolx...
Anyway, just in case you was not given an "ang pow" before, I can make an exception and mail it over to Canada for you, just PM me your address.... haha

:lol:...but only if you send me Kijang Emas...and I guess when it comes to age, I shld be the one giving you ang pow.......the japanese has the same custom during the New Year- doling out otoshidama to kids...but I'm also not japanese....:D

#29 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

Is very impressive that you know about Kijang Emas, I feel quite ashamed of myself, being a Malaysian, I still need Google + Wiki to explain to myself about this gold coin...

I need at least 4 months of my stipend just to gather enough money to get one for you.... lolx

yup, just back from CNY break... there are increase of quantity of "any pow", but the total amount is being lesser... ~50 USD in total.

#30 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

Is very impressive that you know about Kijang Emas, I feel quite ashamed of myself, being a Malaysian, I still need Google + Wiki to explain to myself about this gold coin...

I need at least 4 months of my stipend just to gather enough money to get one for you.... lolx

yup, just back from CNY break... there are increase of quantity of "any pow", but the total amount is being lesser... ~50 USD in total.

Hope you had a good CNY celebration, Adrian....
and I may not know much about your SYBR Green, Texas Red or Pacific Blue but I definitely know my Bullion Gold.... :D

hmmm...4 months of stipend,eh..... how about I take a rain check now so that you can finish first your masters, then move on to PhD , afterwards a post-doc and finally a high paying job and then you can send me my ang pow (with interest of course :P)...so break a leg Adrian...

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.