• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

A Puzzle for Molecular Biologists

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 antibodymania

antibodymania

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Good

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

The Central Dogma of Molecular Biology...and how to have fun with it. Help Josh decode the password to John's computer by using molecular biology techniques. This puzzle is sure to exercise your mind...in a geeky sort of way.

How much do you know about Central Dogma of Molecular Biology: a Puzzle to exercise your mind

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

ATGTACATGATCGACGACCTAGAGAATGCTATGGAA

Translated:
MYMIDDLENAME

Answer:
Smith
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:00 AM

Adrian,

Your posting of the answer deters people from even clicking on the link above.

Its like having results without even reading the hypothesis....

NEW!!!!  Your hand wash can give you cancer  on CoffeeTableScience!!!! 

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#4 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:14 AM

Ops, my bad... sorry... I shall removed it...

p/s: how come I can't edit the post?

Edited by adrian kohsf, 30 January 2011 - 03:16 AM.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

#5 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

Ops, my bad... sorry... I shall removed it...

p/s: how come I can't edit the post?

because there's a time limit for editing and deleting a post, I think...perhaps 1 to 2 days post-posting (or we can try to find out here with this post)...:) and probably only the great panda, the admin and the mods can do something to it afterwards....

Edited by casandra, 30 January 2011 - 05:26 AM.

"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#6 antibodymania

antibodymania

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Good

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

woohoo! congrats to Adrian for getting the answer!

#7 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

LOLx... got price for me?
^_^

#8 antibodymania

antibodymania

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Good

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

^_^

Hmm...well you can get free stuff (including gift cards and other fun science-y stuff) from the site by submitting antibody reviews! ;)

#9 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

^_^

Hmm...well you can get free stuff (including gift cards and other fun science-y stuff) from the site by submitting antibody reviews! ;)

Hmn... too bad. My work doesn't involve using any antibody.. I'm a total immunology handicapped/ignorant.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.