• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Bioforum Chat or IRC?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 K.B.

K.B.

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:02 AM

Hi,
I think it might be interesting to have a chat or IRC channel/room. I saw some pages have one on their own server so they can use Mibbit as browser-based client and allow to quick log in using forum username.
What do you think?

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hi,
I think it might be interesting to have a chat or IRC channel/room. I saw some pages have one on their own server so they can use Mibbit as browser-based client and allow to quick log in using forum username.
What do you think?

I think is a good idea.
What about the real time chat is integrated in this forum?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,742 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:01 AM

bioforum had tried a chat room in the past. it was sparsely attended (i don't think i ever met with a live participant) and vulnerable. there did not appear to be any objection when it was shut down.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#4 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

bioforum had tried a chat room in the past. it was sparsely attended (i don't think i ever met with a live participant) and vulnerable. there did not appear to be any objection when it was shut down.

:blink: :blink:
oh, really....
guess a chat room was not a good idea after all...

Edited by adrian kohsf, 25 January 2011 - 09:04 AM.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,320 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

I cant really think a chat would work..

I think most people here check the website on a regular base , to read and check new posts or check answers to their questions.. Most people here check it when they have a few spare minutes..
People here arent "online" here for long hours in a row I think.

Besides that: there are only a few people here that check and post on a regular base.. and I do not see those people going into a chat..

Keep in mind that this is a very specific forum with specific topic, specific public. Its not "a common" forum where you simple come to chit chat..
(and for those that want to chit chat , just "spend" some minutes not thinking there are some topics in the chit chat forum...

Thats how I think about it anyway... maybe others have another opinion.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#6 K.B.

K.B.

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 174 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:52 AM

OK... I got this idea because I am unemployed and have too much spare time on my hands... :)

#7 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,320 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

OK... I got this idea because I am unemployed and have too much spare time on my hands... :)

Oh I see, but what if you get a new job... what would happen then with the chat if you arent there anymore...

Eum, maybe we could use the chat as some sort of indication on how many people are out of a job? :lol:

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.