• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Ethanol Precipitation - added too much salt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa86

Lisa86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

Hi,
I have a question: After a Phenol/Chloroform Extraction I added too much salt: to a mix of 400ul I added 140 ul of 5M NaCl, instead of only 40 ul (1/10) as it was written in the protocol. The DNA pellet fell out immediately. After 20 min I realized my mistake and added an according amount of buffer and ethanol to match the mentioned 1/10th. I am afraid now that the DNA might have been harmed (broken etc.) by the high salt concentration at the beginning. The vector I am using is pretty big (17 kb).
Do you think I cann still use the DNA or should I toss it away?
Thanks,
Lisa

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

I think is ok to use... what is your application?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Hi,
I have a question: After a Phenol/Chloroform Extraction I added too much salt: to a mix of 400ul I added 140 ul of 5M NaCl, instead of only 40 ul (1/10) as it was written in the protocol. The DNA pellet fell out immediately. After 20 min I realized my mistake and added an according amount of buffer and ethanol to match the mentioned 1/10th. I am afraid now that the DNA might have been harmed (broken etc.) by the high salt concentration at the beginning. The vector I am using is pretty big (17 kb).
Do you think I cann still use the DNA or should I toss it away?
Thanks,
Lisa

Always use it and see what happens... you will either learn that it does not work or you will know what can work... you are gaining experience both ways.... :)

NEW!!!!  Science and Christmas  on CoffeeTableScience!!!! 

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#4 Lisa86

Lisa86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:48 AM

Hi,
thanks for your answers! It goes directly into ES Cells, so I can not really try it and see what happens. I have no method of control before that happens, other than giving it to sequencing again....

#5 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,817 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

the dna should not have been harmed by the high salt. if you think it may be broken then you can run it on a gel, but that should be unnecessary.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#6 jonas albarnaz

jonas albarnaz

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

Lisa,

If you will use this DNA for subsequent enzymatic reactions, such as ligation, salt excess will certainly inhibit them. I say it by my own experience, unfortunately...
Good luck in the next DNA preparation!

Best,
Jonas

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.