• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

inactive enzyme from purification

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 winter11

winter11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Hi

I am purifying an enzyme with GST-tag; however, my enzyme is not active. I have a few questions about this.
1. I wondered how long I can store the pellet (after I harvest the cell)
in -80C or -20C freezer before doing the purification. Is this affect enzyme activity?
2. My enzyme requires Mg2+ for functioning. Do I need to add Mg2+ during expression, induction or purification?
I cannot find this detail in the papers.
3. I also added 0.1% triton X100 in lysis buffer to help my enzyme soluble. Is triton X-100 able to inactivate
an enzyme?

Waiting for suggestions and thank you in advance :)

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hi

I am purifying an enzyme with GST-tag; however, my enzyme is not active. I have a few questions about this.
1. I wondered how long I can store the pellet (after I harvest the cell)
in -80C or -20C freezer before doing the purification. Is this affect enzyme activity?

some enzymes can handle freezing, some can't. some will survive if not actually frozen (eg-in solution with up to 50% glycerol). you have to determine if yours can.

2. My enzyme requires Mg2+ for functioning. Do I need to add Mg2+ during expression, induction or purification?
I cannot find this detail in the papers.

usually, the mg is required when the enzyme must be active (eg- in an assay). sometimes a cofactor is required for stability. you can find out by looking at literature about the isolation of the enzyme.

3. I also added 0.1% triton X100 in lysis buffer to help my enzyme soluble. Is triton X-100 able to inactivate
an enzyme?

some enzymes can and some can't handle the presence of some additives. again, something you need to determine for your enzyme.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.