• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

mice.can they be murderers??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky135791

Nicky135791

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

my teacher told me a story about how when she did a science experiment,
she left 4 mice alone in the same cage overnight.
when she got up to look at them the sides of the cage was covered in blood!! :o
when she looked in the cage there was 3 mice,
one was perfectly fine,
one was missing an ear,
and one was scared to death in a corner :(
all that was left of the 4th mouse was a tail :huh:
do mice usually kill each other??

#2 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:09 AM

Yes, sometimes they do. And they eat each other, so sometimes you just notice some are missing.

#3 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

sometimes observed similar with rats also.

#4 Nicky135791

Nicky135791

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

thats sad :(

#5 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 235 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:01 AM

One of my coworkers told me another interesting bit today. We usually feed females that breast feed their pups a high fat diet because breast feeding supposedly exhausts them so they need a richer diet. However, if the pups start eating it too, they become sexually mature much earlier than normal and start mating with their mothers before we can put them in their own cages. Therefore, we have to be careful to feed only the mothers and not the pups.
How, 'bout that...

#6 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

wow... what a strange encounter... I never do animal work before... I guess this had discourage me for doing any further.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#7 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

i had a female mouse that had to be kept alone in a cage after attacking every mouse in her cage. she couldn't be kept with other female mice. she couldn't be kept with a male mouse for breeding either. vicious little thing.
and there is the joy of first finding out that mothers have eaten their pups.

#8 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

i had a female mouse that had to be kept alone in a cage after attacking every mouse in her cage. she couldn't be kept with other female mice. she couldn't be kept with a male mouse for breeding either. vicious little thing.
and there is the joy of first finding out that mothers have eaten their pups.

yucks... no wonder I find them evil...
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

#9 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

We had 2 females with pups in the same cage. During colony head count, we were down one female. When we changed the bedding, we found the dead female buried under the nest of (both litters of) pups.
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#10 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

I have an every funnier story about a lab at the local university were they had an octopus for research.

The octopus was kept in a container on a table, the container was not sealed at the top.

At a certain point the lab had a new researchtopic envolved Crustacea (lobsters) and so the lab made a second container, a few meters from the container with the octopus, on the same table.

They started with 15 lobsters..
After a week they noticed they had only 14 left... maybe they miscounted... anyway, when time passed by they released they lost more lobsters.. after a few weeks/months they only had 10 lobsters left.
The researchers didnt understand did and the lobsters kept vanishing... after a while only 5 were left... and the researching got more and more angry and one of them decided to stay at the lab during the entire night... and then it happened: The octopus came out of his container, "walked" over the edge of his container, lowered himself out is container, "walked" a few meters to the second container with the lobsters and entered that container... and ate 1 of the lobsters .. and he returned to his container after eating..
The scientist that stayed at night was to shocked, suprised to tape it, he just watched and enjoyed.. His co-workers didnt believe his story and the following nights they all stayed and after a few days (week) they withnessed it all toghether how the octopus did it...

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#11 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:53 AM

That's cool pito,
I wish I can get octopus to predict numbers for me so that I can win a fortune in gambling...
If I got become a Billionaire then I got no need to thought about my financial problems and focus in my research... lols

p/s: is that the octopus which predicts for the world cup?

Edited by adrian kohsf, 16 January 2011 - 05:57 AM.

#12 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

lol,no it was another octopus..:)

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#13 Fungus_Dreams

Fungus_Dreams

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

Mice are generally socially oriented animals. If you are experiencing a high rate of cannibalization, you probably aren't housing them right. If they are bored or stressed (remember, boredom causes stress!) they are likely to fight, injure, kill, or eat each other. When raising lab mice (or any other species) it is important to include Environmental Enrichment in their cages....nesting material, crawl tubes, huts, lab-grade treats, etc..... At the very least, a proper rodent habitat should have a hiding area and nesting material. And if you're trying to breed, make damn sure your cages aren't overcrowded and your females are given Nestlets or a similar product.

http://www.bio-serv....nt_Devices.html
http://www.bio-serv....ent_Treats.html

Do a literature search. It is beyond well established at this point that "enriched" cages greatly increase the quality of laboratory animal care & welfare.

#14 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

Mice are generally socially oriented animals. If you are experiencing a high rate of cannibalization, you probably aren't housing them right. If they are bored or stressed (remember, boredom causes stress!) they are likely to fight, injure, kill, or eat each other. When raising lab mice (or any other species) it is important to include Environmental Enrichment in their cages....nesting material, crawl tubes, huts, lab-grade treats, etc..... At the very least, a proper rodent habitat should have a hiding area and nesting material. And if you're trying to breed, make damn sure your cages aren't overcrowded and your females are given Nestlets or a similar product.

http://www.bio-serv....nt_Devices.html
http://www.bio-serv....ent_Treats.html

Do a literature search. It is beyond well established at this point that "enriched" cages greatly increase the quality of laboratory animal care & welfare.

Hmn, interesting... we are taking care the welfare of mice, but who is taking care of ours (postgraduate)?
We are social oriented as well, we do fight with each other, sometimes. There is no environment enrichment in our lab, and there is never a "nesting" place for us in lab... no chill out place either.

Perhaps this explain the reason of us not being productive in our work... lolx...

#15 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,525 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:55 AM

Read this interesting article, I guess it's not a solution but might help explaining a bit..And perhaps somewhen lab rodents with a silenced VMHvl-region are reared...
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.