• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Are you wearing a lab coat?

• Please log in to reply
497 replies to this topic

#16 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

I see your point with not taking proper care when working with acids/ not knowing when to take off the lab coat. The basic point is that you take safety precautions when it is necessary and sometimes where it is mandatory (even if it seems lame). And no amount of experience/ coolness should give you the right to draft new rules for yourself.

Realizing that it is a jokes forum and we are not a H&S committee deciding whether we should/ should not use LAB coats from here on, I think we should put this discussion to rest. We are grown ups and we understand the necessity of safety precautions.

BTW, Hobglobin, thanks for the picture, I think I will put it up in my lab.... :)

You are offcourse right.

But the thing some of us here seem to forget is that I do wear my coat when needed, but I know when not to wear it.. and its allowed.. since I do not need to wear my coat when doing things that dont need a coat... The thing is that others just dont realise this and take the idea of wearing a coat very strict in the sence of: entering a lab= wearing coat.. but this is just not true.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#17 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

BTW, Hobglobin, thanks for the picture, I think I will put it up in my lab.... :)

But what's a lab coat without a rack, gt_ameya? Check this out::P

Posted Image

however, I still believe that we should wear lab coats when working in the lab...so we will never see eye to eye on this, pito....:D

hmmm....and btw, I think that all of the lab coats above shld already be tossed in the biohazard bin except for the PI's. Is yours also like the PI's, pito? So yup, having a pristine lab coat translates to having the knowledge, experience, influence....and zero lab time....:lol:....<running away now>...

Edited by casandra, 02 February 2011 - 07:11 PM.

"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#18 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,338 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:15 AM

Eum my lab coat is clean, but it has some spots etc on it that you cant wash out..
But I never put my coat in the rack with the rest.. I always place mine at a seperate rack or in a cabinet..
That way my coat stays clean and I prevent that someone lese might grap it.. + if I place my lab coat on such rack.. after a few hours I dont even remember where exactly it is and I do not feel the urge to search true al those other coats to find mine :D

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#19 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:26 AM

Ha, I'm gonna stir the soup and show off. Being in a forensic lab, we wear lab coats to protect the samples from US :P . I wear a coat, 2 pairs of gloves, a mask and sometimes sleeves. In a lab where I used to work, we had total coverall and that was really painful in the summer (hot). So we had a room to undress in the morning and could only keep underwears, then we'd put the coverall and on top of that a face shield. I'm glad I don't have to do that here. Pito is right about lab coats being worn for weeks (months?) without being washed. Seen that :rolleyes: . Yuk. In my lab, tadaa, we have paper lab coats and change everyday..lala..I told ya I'd show off. :D
Oh and a vestibule between the lab and the hall where the coats are stored. I love my life.
Concerning googles, I wouldn't mind wearing them if I didn't get this fog each time I breathe ;) but then it happens because of the mask. Each case is different. Common sense is the rule, right pito? ;)
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

#20 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 175 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

I always wear my labcoat when staying for any length of time and my policy is to wear my goggles at all times, although I often don't because I forget or don't know where they are :D Seriously though, I've been splashed in the face by someone else's work, so just because you're not doing anything risky, doesn't mean someone else wont be pouring something somewhere or dropping something or that a bottle wont fall from a shelf or whatever. The science-y feeling sadly wore off after about a year or so in the lab. I'd do anything to feel like that again!

#21 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Wow, a heavy discussion for a joke.

Love the comic, dr. h.
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#22 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

Wow, a heavy discussion for a joke.

Love the comic, dr. h.

but what about my especially-designed labcoat rack, LaRa? And the heavy discussion- it's all dr H's fault, actually....btw, in which camp are you? i.e. follow the rules vs. follow your own rules :P

#23 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

Ha, I'm gonna stir the soup and show off. Being in a forensic lab, we wear lab coats to protect the samples from US :P . I wear a coat, 2 pairs of gloves, a mask and sometimes sleeves. In a lab where I used to work, we had total coverall and that was really painful in the summer (hot). So we had a room to undress in the morning and could only keep underwears, then we'd put the coverall and on top of that a face shield. I'm glad I don't have to do that here. Pito is right about lab coats being worn for weeks (months?) without being washed. Seen that :rolleyes: . Yuk. In my lab, tadaa, we have paper lab coats and change everyday..lala..I told ya I'd show off. :D
Oh and a vestibule between the lab and the hall where the coats are stored. I love my life.
Concerning googles, I wouldn't mind wearing them if I didn't get this fog each time I breathe ;) but then it happens because of the mask. Each case is different. Common sense is the rule, right pito? ;)

Paper lab coats tadaa....hmmm....really what a show-off you are, Maddie :P

As for your foggy goggles, have you ever tried the old Band Aid trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeDIYaVW8Og&feature=related

or the cheap Dawn trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxdn3MPDzm8&NR=1

(and both these must the most exciting utube videos ever :D)

#24 lab rat

lab rat

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

I am a rebel looking for a cause. I made my own tie-dyed lab coat, with plastic parrot buttons. I dare you to scold me for not wearing it.
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#25 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

actually....btw, in which camp are you? i.e. follow the rules vs. follow your own rules :P

Hey I dint even think that the forum would be divided on simple thing like wearing a lab coat.

The way things are Casandra, I think we must start a brotherhood. A society where all members religiously wear lab coats. We are a handful few left in the labs around the world. Any names????

NEW!!!!  Science and Christmas  on CoffeeTableScience!!!! 

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#26 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,338 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:05 AM

Thats my motto.. think before you act.

And offcourse, sometimes you wear a coat to protect the sample. Forensic science for example.

Does remind me of an experiment I worked on, plant pathogens.. Each time I needed to get into the small greenhouse, I had to wear a trow away fullbody coat, damn that was hot, it didnt breath at all and made me sweat like hell, after a few times I got so tired of it that I undressed (yes yes, kept my underwear on :P) before putting it on (most people just kept their regular clothes on etc and wore the coat above those clothes, but they didnt need to be in the greenhouse for too long nor did they dislike the heat as much as me..) and offcourse someone grapped my pants, shirt and sweater (knowing I couldnt keep the trow away coat on since it would contaminated everything) ... that day I walked through the lab wearing nothing but my boxershorts.... offcourse the first comment I got from the first person I passed (the senior professor, who was never at the lab normally, now all of a sudden he was :blink:, he was the "big boss" of the lab): "djezus man, that you dont wear a lab coat is fine, but hell, dont exaggerate..." and then laughter coming from inside his office.. who would have known that the big boss himself stored my clothes in his office with all the rest of the people of my lab :lol:
I never found it who took my clothes .... the big boss just stored them because someone asked him to do.. and he refused to tell me who :rolleyes:

Googles: yeah, you need to buy good googles that dont give too much fog.

seanspotatobusiness is also right: you also need to know who is in the lab ... but I make sure no one can drop stuff on me or splash things in my face.. we have a good lab, you dont need to annoy eachother to take stuff etc..

#27 lab rat

lab rat

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Pito, that story wins the blue ribbon. :lol:

#28 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:55 AM

Pito, that story wins the blue ribbon. :lol:

:D...he follows his own rules and is shameless to boot....

#29 lab rat

lab rat

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

The science-y feeling sadly wore off after about a year or so in the lab. I'd do anything to feel like that again!

That's a shame. I guess it does wear off for some people. I always associated gloves with feeling scienc-y, because we always wore covies or coats when working with the animals, and not gloves. (Feed trials, so no X-contamination.)

#30 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,548 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

:D...he follows his own rules and is shameless to boot....

I guess there was a Casandra-like girl, who took away the clothes :P
anyway a good story... ;)

Edited by hobglobin, 05 February 2011 - 12:09 PM.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.