• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Which acetat for a DNA isolation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ikar

Ikar

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

Hi!
What is the difference in using whether potassium or sodium acetate for a DNA preparation when I am
doing the alcohol precipitation?

br,
Ikar

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

Probably none. The place where it matters is in neutralization of SDS lysis buffer, where the potassium salt is used to precipitate potassium dodecyl sulfate, which helps to bring down the genomic DNA, leaving plasmid DNA in solution.

#3 Ikar

Ikar

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:41 AM

Probably none. The place where it matters is in neutralization of SDS lysis buffer, where the potassium salt is used to precipitate potassium dodecyl sulfate, which helps to bring down the genomic DNA, leaving plasmid DNA in solution.

Did I understand correctly?
-> If I am doing a plasmid isolation the sodium acetate is used to neutralize the SDS lysis buffer

-> If I am doing a isolation of genomic DNA I use potassium acetate to precipitate potassium dodecyl sulfate (or did you mean sodium dodecyl sulfate?)

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:55 AM

No, the other way around. Potassium acetate is used to precipitate the SDS during a miniprep, forming insoluble KDS. Either could be used (though the sodium salt is traditional) in a normal ethanol precipitation.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.