• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

What does the shift in G0/G1 tell us?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:13 AM

Hi,

I transfected my normal cells with killer plasmids and after cell death I ran a flowcyto and histogram analysis.

my boss asked me 'what does the shift in G0/G1 tell us?'. I had read somewhere that if the number of readings for each sample is different then the peaks shift, but in here the number of all readings is constant (1000 events).

Attached Files

#2 Rsm

Rsm

Post Dog

• Active Members
  • 376 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:35 AM

That depends on what your labelling with APC-Cy7 is... some more details? Cell cycle? Apoptosis? Surface molecules?

rsm
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

#3 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

I just transfect HeLa cells, and after 18 h I stain with PI and read by flowcyto machine, just very simple.

the blue curve is untransfected cells, and the red is complete dead cells as control. The green and yellow are my transfected samples.

#4 Rsm

Rsm

Post Dog

• Active Members
  • 376 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

I just transfect HeLa cells, and after 18 h I stain with PI and read by flowcyto machine, just very simple.

the blue curve is untransfected cells, and the red is complete dead cells as control. The green and yellow are my transfected samples.

Do you fix your cells before analysis? I am still a bit confused what you detect in the APC-Cy7 channel. It can't be PI, because then live cells should be negative, and dead ones positive, not the other way round. Maybe someone else has an idea?

rsm
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

#5 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

yes, I fix them with Ice cold Ethanol. Don't mind the channel, it was the same for the other channels too. The G0/G1 shifts in alexa 488, PE or others.

#6 DRT

DRT

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 160 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

Is the number of cells being stained roughly similar? If the PI is sub-saturating then the sample with fewer cells will positive shift because of a greater PI/cell.

#7 Denis Baev

Denis Baev

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:22 AM

If you're using PI for cell cycle together with other fluorochromes in multicolor you coud have some comensation problems beacuse of PI-s wide emission spectra. The best way to avoid that and to make your "flow life" easier is to replace PI by DyeCycle dye or by 7-AAD

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.