• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Deoxyribosenucleoside vs. Deoxyribosenucleotide

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tyank

tyank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum!
I just started at an internship at NCI, and I'm having trouble finding a definite answer for what dNTP stands for.

I know that they are free nucleotides and are used by the Taq enzyme to synthesize new DNA during PCR, but I'm still confused by the acronym. I've read that dNTP to stands for deoxyribosenucleoside, but at the same time, many of the books and journals I am studying refer to dNTPs in PCR as deoxyribosenucleotides

Can anybody tell me which one is correct and why?

#2 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

dNTP is a mixture of four deoxyribonucleotides - dATP, dTTP, dCTP, and dGTP. The N indicates it's a mixture of all, just like in DNA nomenclature where an N indicates any of the four bases at that position.

#3 Kaioshin

Kaioshin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

The only difference between a nucleotide and a nucleoside is the presence of phosphate.

Nucleosides are only 5 carbon sugar + base
Nucleotide is sugar + base + phosphate.

Thus, the correct terminology is deoxyribonucleotide.
If you want to be specific and write out the triphosphate, then it is correct to say nucleoside triphosphate. If you use nucleotide, you'd be implying phosphate twice. It's kinda like saying ATM machine (Automated teller machine machine).

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.