• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Why store pipette in upright position?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hianghao

hianghao

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

Found this in user manual and lab manual but they didn't state the reason...

#2 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:40 AM

The internal components are easily knocked out of calibration if you drop the pipetter. My opinion is that storing upright on a hanger ensures that the pipetter isn't dropped (even a small distance) while horizontal. In addition, it would be natural to store the pipetter horizontally in a drawer, where it would be subjected to even more jostling. The recommendation to hang the pipetter on a carousel discourages this practice.
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#3 Gerard

Gerard

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 124 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:08 AM

I don't think that there is a specific reason, I've never seen a publication with this topic.
A reason to do so maybe that when someone has got fluid in the pipet it will drip out and not contaminate the plunger.
Ockham's razor
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
-- "You must assume no plural without necessity".

#4 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,545 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

It saves space on the desk/bench that is anyway strewn with stuff and equipment.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#5 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

Maybe in your lab, Dr. H! :P My bench is sparkling clean at the end of every day...
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#6 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,545 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

Well, I meant my students ;)

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#7 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

:rolleyes:
So, Dr H, do you interested in taking me in the future? I feels like I do share some similarity with them. :P :D
will try to post a picture of my recent bench soon...
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#8 fysio lab

fysio lab

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:03 AM

aerosols?

#9 chimaera

chimaera

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:32 AM

In some manuals it is mentioned pipettes are stored upright to prevent liquid from getting into the pipette (and corroding).

#10 lyok

lyok

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 206 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

In some manuals it is mentioned pipettes are stored upright to prevent liquid from getting into the pipette (and corroding).

This is what they told me too when I got an introduction on "how to work in the lab".

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.