• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Cheap procedure for gene deletion in E coli?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chemy333

chemy333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

I want to delete a particular gene from E coli to study if there is any effect on the phenotype etc. However, I don't want to introduce any antibiotic resistance, because the gene likely affects ribosome function so any antibiotics would interfere with followup experiments.

I've looked at the Red/ET recombination-based gene deletion kit by genebridges (http://www.genebridg...hp?prod_id=k006), which is really expensive. Do you know of a cheaper way to delete genes without getting additional antibiotic resistance?

Thanks

#2 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hi,

I want to delete a particular gene from E coli to study if there is any effect on the phenotype etc. However, I don't want to introduce any antibiotic resistance, because the gene likely affects ribosome function so any antibiotics would interfere with followup experiments.

I've looked at the Red/ET recombination-based gene deletion kit by genebridges (http://www.genebridg...hp?prod_id=k006), which is really expensive. Do you know of a cheaper way to delete genes without getting additional antibiotic resistance?

Thanks

well you could recreate the system on your own, using Cre recombinase, FRT or phIC31. You could look around and request the plasmids (containing expressing enzymes) from other researchers.
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#3 pDNA

pDNA

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Good

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

you can go for the recombineering approach (pretty much the same like the pRED/ET system)

Recombineering: a homologous recombination-based method of genetic engineering

Regards,
p

Hi,

Thanks

well you could recreate the system on your own, using Cre recombinase, FRT or phIC31. You could look around and request the plasmids (containing expressing enzymes) from other researchers.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.