• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

70% ethanol to disinfect

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 chimaera

chimaera

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

After much search, I ended up troubling my supervisor, who was kind enough to give me the title and author of the paper. As it turns out, it was published in 1950 (before my supervisor was born) and is called THE RELATIONSHIP OF CONCENTRATION AND GERMICIDAL EFFICIENCY OF ETHYL ALCOHOL
Harry E. Morton.

This paper describes ethanol tested on bacterial pellets, which means it was tested on wet cells. However, it has been shown that for dry surfaces absolute alcohol might not work as a disinfectant.
Most likely that is why a water-alcohol solution is used in labs.

#17 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

Hi hobglobin, I too uses 80%~85% alcohol on bench. Is there any way that I can get the chapter in PDF? my library doesn't have it...
Thanks.

From the book? Sorry, I don't have it, I use google book, that's enough for me ;)
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#18 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,267 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

But I can't access it from here.... and it will be nice, if some one sends it back to me.... I promise to treasure it this time.... :)

see your pm!

If possible: can you send a copy to me too?

thanks
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#19 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 329 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:34 PM

But I can't access it from here.... and it will be nice, if some one sends it back to me.... I promise to treasure it this time.... :)

see your pm!

If possible: can you send a copy to me too?

thanks

see your pm...
:)

NEW!!!!  Living with Malaria on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#20 josse

josse

Student

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:59 AM

I have another question regarding the ethanol problem: should you always dilute the ethanol in demineralised water or even deionised? Or can you simply use tap water?

thanks

#21 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:03 AM

We usually use demineralised water, but I think tap water will be fine as well.....
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#22 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,267 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:14 AM

We usually use demineralised water, but I think tap water will be fine as well.....

I am not so sure about that...

Tap water contains salts and isnt it possible you can get a precipitation reaction and also withdraw water from the mixture?

(or something like that.. my chemistry is not that good anymore :P)
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#23 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

I was thinking about the minerals in the water as well, but think that this does not influence the mode of action, but if anybody knows the difference I would be happy to know.
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#24 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,508 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:48 AM

Depending if you have "hard" water or not you'll have a more or less strong precipitation of the minerals, as they're not very soluble in ethanol (especially polyvalent ions). For sprayers it might be bad (blocking), but if the minerals are gone, there should be no influence on the action of the alcohol itself.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.