• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

SDS PAGE

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 biocrazy

biocrazy

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:32 AM

Dear Friends,

I made a SDS-PAGE gel to run my protein samples. When I prepare the seperating gel and overlay the 70% ethanol, the gel was in a good condition. Then I made the stacking gel and placed the comb. After 30 minutes I found some bubbles(~1mm dia) in the middle of the seperating gel.

Could anyone advice me in this regard. How can I get rid of this issue in future?

Thanks in advance!

With Regards,
Selvam Ayarpadikannan.

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:08 AM

Did you degas the solutions?

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#3 biocrazy

biocrazy

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:27 AM

Did you degas the solutions?

Dear Hobglobin,

Usually we dont degas the solutions. Could you tell me how to degass the solutions.........

#4 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 236 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

Very few people ever degas their solutions for gel preparation. So, in my opinion this is not an issue. We have had this problem as well. One issue is if you didn't let the separating gel polymerize well before adding the concentrating gel. Otherwise I have seen this happen when people removed the comb out of the gel. I remove the comb when the gel is in the electrophoresis chamber.

#5 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,818 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

this could also happen if the gel is poured with cold solutions. trapped gasses will be released and form bubbles. if you allow the solutions to reach room temperature before pouring then degassing will be unnecessary.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#6 biocrazy

biocrazy

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

this could also happen if the gel is poured with cold solutions. trapped gasses will be released and form bubbles. if you allow the solutions to reach room temperature before pouring then degassing will be unnecessary.

Dear Biomiha and mdfenko,

Thanks a lot for your valuable advices!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.