• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Where can I find info on the physical appearance of TB cell wall structures?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cellartist

cellartist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

I am an artist wanting to depict the Tuberculosis bacterium wall with absolute accuracy.

Could anyone please let me know where might I find more information on
the actual physical appearance of:

Peptidoglycan
Mycolic acid
Dimycolate / Cord Factor
Wax-D

I am very grateful for any information. At this point I am not sure if the physical appearance has been determined. If it has not been I would appreciate any opinions on what they should look like based on function.

Thanks!

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

Your best bet will to be to go to a site like expasy.org or NCBI and search for the proteins there and see what comes up. I would be surprised if some of them have not been rendered into 3D shapes.

#3 josse

josse

Student

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:23 AM

use google images..

Or like bob1 said: use expasy..

But how detailed do you need it?

I might be helpfull if you got hold of some picture made of the bacterium with a good microscope?

But are you planning on really drawing a structure of the cell with all the components in it?

It might also be helpfull if you check a general microbiology textbook like brooks to start with.

#4 cellartist

cellartist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

Thanks so much for the links! They are fantastic!

Regarding how detailed I want to get- as detailed as science has discovered and as realistic as possible.
I want it to be like the viewer was small enough to go inside the bacterium.

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,271 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

a website like http://molvis.sdsc.edu/fgij/ might be helpfull too.
(check http://proteopedia.o...ex.php/PDB_code for pdb codes)

Its not really for micro-organisms (not for a shematic drawing), but for more for proteins etc.. But it can be helpfull for you to get an idea and also some of the structures of the wall of a bacteria is based on proteins you find on that website.

and check http://www.nsrrc.org...2010/p60-63.pdf
To give you a more practical idea about what I mean.
(you can paint or draw a few of those proteins structes etc... because in most drawings they never show these and draw a cell wall as a "circle" but this not correct...
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#6 cellartist

cellartist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

Oh that is fantastic! Thank you so much!

#7 Majid

Majid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

I try to express protein in Sf9 cells.I'm using serum free medium from Novagen, in T-75 flasks. The cells are growing slowly and less than 10% are adhering. They accumulate in center of flask. What can I do to obtain a monolayer cell culture?
Thanks
Majid

#8 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,271 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:40 AM

I try to express protein in Sf9 cells.I'm using serum free medium from Novagen, in T-75 flasks. The cells are growing slowly and less than 10% are adhering. They accumulate in center of flask. What can I do to obtain a monolayer cell culture?
Thanks
Majid

I think its best you make a new post (topic) to try to get an answer to your question.
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.