• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

serum separation: transparent gel prevents serum collection!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 demaju

demaju

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hello! For the first time I am sampling animal serum to test with ELISA for the presence of a protein. The protein I want to test is rare and unstable and I was afraid to lose it. Therefore I didnīt wait long for the blood clot to form, but I centrifuged (2.500 rpm, 5 minutes) after some minutes instead. I could mostly separate serum, but sometimes (20% of the samples more or less) after centrifugation the serum was separated but it was in the form of a transparent gel instead of liquid (therefore impossible to pipette). Why does this happen? is it because I didnīt wait long enough for the clot to form?
And what happens if I centrifuge before the clot forms, do I get also the coagulation factors together with the serum? (I am using plain glass tubes, with no anticoagulant and I am collecting 3 ml of blood).
Thanks for any help ypu can give me, as you see I am a very beginner in this field!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.